As an avid TV watcher, I’ve been frustrated by the limited options for streaming content. I wanted to find a way to take advantage of my Chromecast and watch content from my phone on my Roku, but wasn’t sure if it was possible. After doing some research and testing, I’m excited to share with you that yes, you can use Chromecast on your Roku! In this blog post, I’ll explain how I solved this problem and describe some other solutions I discovered along the way.
- Chromecasting is a great way to double the fun you have with your Roku TV.
- You can use Chromecast’s features to launch various streaming channels like Netflix and Hulu.
- If you can’t use Chromecast, there are other alternatives to launch and stream media from your mobile to your Roku TV, such as screen mirroring and the Roku mobile app.
- To use Chromecast on your Roku TV, make sure your TV has an HDMI port and your smartphone and Roku TV are connected to the same wifi network.
- To use screen mirroring or the Roku mobile app to stream media from your mobile to your Roku TV, make sure both your smartphone and Roku TV are connected to the same wifi network.
Can I Use Chromecast on Roku?
To answer this question, first, you need to take a look at your Roku TV and search for HDMI ports. Many Roku series TVs have not one but four HDMI ports. If your Roku TV has at least one HDMI port then you definitely can use Chromecast on it.
Once plugged in, the Chromecast streaming media adaptor would control your Roku TV. It would allow you to stream media and videos from various online streaming platforms like Netflix, Hulu, youtube, and so much more.
You can use your smartphone to control your Roku. First, choose the video you’d like to stream, and enjoy it while using your smartphone for other purposes.
However, what can you do if your Roku TV doesn’t have an HDMI port?
Don’t worry as we’ll give you alternatives to Chromecast so you can stream your favorite shows, movies, and games on your TV.
How to Use Chromecast on Roku?
- Plug your Chromecast into one of the Roku’s HDMI ports. Remember to take note of which HDMI port you’re using so you can select this specific port on your TV.
- Download the google home app on your smartphone. Open the google home app and sign in using your Google account. If you don’t have an account already, sign up to create a new google account.
- Make sure your Roku TV is connected to the same wifi network that your smartphone is connected to. Now you can start casting by selecting the streaming app you like and clicking on the screen-with-wifi icon on the top right-hand corner.
Alternative Number One to Chromecast: Use Screen Mirroring
Both Screen mirroring and casting would eventually help you display videos and games from your smartphone onto your Roku TV. However, each does that in a different way. Casting helps you directly launch an app on your smart TV while mirroring would simply display your mobile’s screen on the TV.
How Can You Screen-Mirror From an Android?
- Manually allow screen mirroring on your Roku TV’s settings and you’re all done.
- Click on the screen mirroring or screen-with-wifi icon on your smartphone and choose the Roku TV you’d like to play the media on.
All android devices have the same screen mirroring icon, but they might have different names for the feature. Here are a few names you should look for on your android smartphone:
- Quick connect
- Smart view
- Wireless display
- Display mirroring
How Can You Screen-Mirror From an iPhone?
- Enable the Apple Air-Play feature on your Roku TV.
- Connect your Roku TV and IOS device to the same wifi network and you’re good to go.
- Whenever you want to screen-mirror something from your iPhone to your Roku TV, all you have to do is to tap on the screen mirroring—screen-with-wifi—icon and choose your Roku TV.
Alternative Number Two to Chromecast: Roku Mobile App
You can download the official Roku app on your iPhone or Android and use it to control your Roku TV. Using your smartphone, you can launch streaming channels, play or stop videos, and much more.
The Roku mobile app would also allow you to control your Roku TV using the voice command feature.
How Can You Use the Roku Mobile App?
- Download the Roku mobile app on your smartphone and log in to your account. You can set up a new account if you don’t already have one.
- Once you’ve signed in to your mobile Roku app, make sure that both your smartphone and Roku TV are connected to the same wireless network.
- When you launch the Roku mobile app it would automatically search for and find any Roku TVs connected to the same wifi network. Now you can choose and connect to the Roku TV you want.
Chromecasting is a great way to double the fun you have with your Roku TV. Once you connect the Chromecast device to your Roku TV, you can use your smartphone to control it.
You can use Chromecast’s features to launch various streaming channels like Netflix and Hulu. Moreover, you can launch games or videos onto your TV and enjoy them on the bigger screen with your friends and family.
However, if you can’t use Chromecast there are other alternatives to launch and stream media from your mobile to your Roku TV. These options include screen mirroring and the Roku mobile app.
Read more: Can I move Roku from one TV to another?