As an owner of a Roku streaming device, I’ve been frustrated with the inability to control the volume via the Roku app. After some research and testing, I’m excited to share what I’ve learned about how to control the volume with the Roku app and some other solutions I’ve discovered.
In this blog post, I’ll explain how to adjust the volume with the Roku app and other ways to make sure your volume is just right.
Using the free Roku Mobile App, tap the joystick icon and then use the speaker icons near the bottom to adjust your volume.
- You can control the volume with the Roku mobile app if your device is compatible with the app.
- To check if your device is compatible with the app, go to the Roku website and check the device comparison chart.
- To use the app to control the volume, install the app on your iOS or Android device and access the remote control interface by tapping the joystick icon.
- You can also control the volume using the remote control buttons, voice commands, or the Roku mobile app.
- Not all Roku models support TV volume control, but some that do include the Roku Express 4K+, Roku Streaming Stick 4K, Roku Streaming Stick 4K+, Roku Ultra LT, Roku Ultra, Roku Streambar, and Roku Streambar Pro.
Can you control the volume with Roku app?
As long as your Roku is compatible with the volume function of the app, you can use the app to control the volume on your Roku. You can find out if your Roku is compatible with the app on the Roku website.
Finding Your Device’s Compatibility:
1. Go to the Roku website at www.roku.com.
2. Hover over the Support tab.
3. Click Mobile apps.
4. Click the link that says “Install the mobile app”.
5. Under the first section titled “How to install the Roku mobile app”, find the clickable link “Roku device comparison chart”. This will take you to a page that lists all of the current Roku devices.
6. Select your model and then scroll down to the section titled “Key features”.
7. Continue scrolling to the tab titled “Roku mobile app”. Click the arrow to expand that section.
8. On the left hand side of the table you will find a list of features. If this device supports volume control via the app, there will be a checkmark next to “Use your phone as a remote control”.
How to control the volume using the Roku app?
You can control the volume with the remote control interface in the app. Detailed instructions are offered below.
This method works for both the iOS and Android versions of the Roku app:
Install the Roku app on your iOS or Android device.
To find the app, go to the Apple App Store or Google Play Store. In the search bar, type Roku and select the Roku app to download it.
Note: Not all versions of iOS or Android support the Roku app. The Roku app is only available for Apple iOS devices running version 11.0 or higher. Android devices must be running version 5.0 or higher.
Launch the Roku app on your device.
From the Home Screen, go to your App library. Tap on the Roku Mobile App icon.
Find the volume settings.
From the starting screen in the app, find and tap on the joystick icon. The joystick is located in the middle of the bottom menu bar.
When the remote control interface is displayed, use the speaker buttons at the bottom to adjust the volume.
What ways are there to control the volume on Roku TV?
Depending on your model, you can control the volume with the remote control buttons, voice commands, or the Roku mobile app.
A Roku TV that has a remote with volume control will have buttons for volume up and volume down on the side of the remote.
Similarly, a remote with voice command capabilities will have a microphone button on the side or top of the remote. If you do not have either type of remote, you may be able to control the volume with the Roku mobile app.
Can the Roku remote control the TV volume?
Some models can, but it depends.
When it comes to Roku TV models, it’s down to the manufacturer’s design. Some choose to have a remote that can control the TV volume and operate the Roku features at the same time.
Others choose to have a remote for the TV functions and a separate one for the Roku features.
For Roku streaming players, they all come with a remote, but not all of them can control the TV volume.
Players without TV control features, such as the Express line, have what is called the “simple remote”.
Higher end models will feature remotes with TV control buttons and even voice commands support.
Some player models that do support TV volume control, with or without voice commands include:
- Roku Express 4K+
- Roku Streaming Stick 4K
- Roku Streaming Stick 4K+
- Roku Ultra LT
- Roku Ultra
- Roku Streambar
- Roku Streambar Pro
Read more: can you connect Roku to a computer monitor?