As an owner of Apple AirPods, I have often wondered if my AirPods have a serial number. After being frustrated with the lack of a clear answer, I decided to do some research and testing to find out once and for all. Today, I’m here to share with you what I learned and the various solutions I discovered.
AirPods and AirPods Pro do have serial numbers. You can find the serial numbers in the Bluetooth settings of your iPhone or by looking at the outside of the AirPods. The AirPods case also has a serial number which is located on the inside of the lid.
- AirPods do have serial numbers that are unique to each pair.
- The serial number can be found in the Bluetooth settings of the iPhone or on the outside of the AirPods.
- The AirPods case also has a serial number which is located on the inside of the lid.
- AirPods can’t be tracked using serial numbers.
- AirPods can be tracked using Find My iPhone.
- Fake AirPods might have serial numbers printed on them, but they won’t show up on the Bluetooth settings.
- AirPods and AirPods Pro have unique serial numbers, but the serial number on the charging case should match the serial number on the box they came with.
Do AirPods have serial numbers?
AirPods all feature serial numbers that are unique to each other. These serial numbers can be used for things such as proving that you purchased a pair of AirPods when you do not have the receipt.
However, the serial numbers can’t be used for tracking lost AirPods.
However, AirPods can be tracked using find my iPhone. But, AirPods do not use the serial number for tracking. Instead, they are linked to an iCloud account and that is used to track the AirPods.
However, if someone resets your AirPods, it will no longer be possible to track the AirPods and that person will be able to use them like normal.
There are actually many more reasons why your AirPods might not be able to be tracked using find my iPhone that I have written about here.
What is an AirPod Serial Number?
A serial number is a unique identifier assigned by the manufacturer to each product they produce. This alphanumeric code helps them keep track of individual units for inventory, warranty, and support purposes. AirPods, like other Apple devices, have a unique serial number that serves similar functions.
Each AirPod (left and right) and the charging case have separate serial numbers. These numbers can typically be found on the underside of the lid of the charging case and on the AirPods themselves, just below the model number.
What Are AirPod Serial Numbers Used For?
AirPod serial numbers serve several essential purposes:
- Proof of Ownership: The unique serial number can serve as proof of ownership in case you lose your AirPods or they get stolen. Having a record of the serial number allows you to provide evidence of ownership when you file a report with the police or claim your lost AirPods when found.
- Warranty and Support: When you need to access customer support or claim warranty service for your AirPods, you’ll need to provide the serial number. Apple uses the serial number to verify that your AirPods are genuine and within the warranty period. They also use it to track any previous support cases related to your specific AirPods.
- Device Authenticity: The serial number can help you determine whether your AirPods are genuine or counterfeit. By checking the serial number on Apple’s official website, you can verify if the AirPods are an authentic Apple product. This is particularly useful if you’re buying AirPods from a third-party seller or if you’re unsure about the product’s authenticity.
- Device Information: The serial number can also provide specific information about your AirPods, such as the manufacturing date and location. This information can be helpful when troubleshooting issues or seeking support from Apple.
How to Find Your AirPods Serial Number
Locating your AirPods serial number is simple:
- For the charging case, open the lid and look for the serial number printed on the underside of the lid.
- For individual AirPods, the serial number is printed on the underside of each AirPod, just below the model number. You may need a magnifying glass or ample lighting to read it clearly.
Additionally, you can find the serial number of your AirPods in the Settings app on your iPhone if they’re connected:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Tap on ‘Bluetooth’.
- Find your AirPods in the list of devices and tap the ‘i’ icon next to them.
- You’ll see the serial number and other relevant information about your AirPods.
Do AirPods pro have serial numbers?
AirPod Pros also have serial numbers that are unique. The serial numbers can also be used for things such as proving that you purchased a pair of AirPod Pros.
However, it is also not possible to track AirPod Pros using serial numbers.
|AirPod Serial Numbers||Unique identifier for each AirPod and charging case|
|Purpose||Proof of ownership, warranty and support, device authenticity, and device information|
|Finding Serial Numbers||Located on the underside of the AirPods and charging case lid; also in Bluetooth settings on connected iPhone|
|AirPod Pro Serial Numbers||Unique serial numbers for AirPod Pros|
|Tracking AirPods||Cannot track using serial numbers; can be tracked using Find My iPhone|
|AirPods Cases Serial Numbers||Serial numbers located on the underside of the charging case lid|
|Fake AirPods Serial Numbers||Might have serial numbers printed on them, but won’t show up in Bluetooth settings on iPhone|
|Matching Serial Numbers||AirPods and case have separate serial numbers; charging case serial number should match the one on the box|
Do AirPods cases have serial numbers?
AirPod cases also have serial numbers. You can see the serial numbers by looking at the underside of the lid. This is also the case with AirPod Pro cases.
These serial numbers are meant to be used for things such as if you need to send your AirPods case in to Apple for repairs.
Do AirPods have the same serial numbers?
Individual AirPods should have unique serial numbers.
This also means that it is possible to pair different sets of AirPods together by putting them into the case then opening the lid and holding on the button for 15 seconds.
Do fake AirPods have serial numbers?
Fake AirPods might have serial numbers printed on them.
However, you will not be able to see their serial number when clicking on them at them on your iPhone’s Bluetooth settings as mentioned above.
Do AirPods have the same serial numbers as the case?
AirPods don’t have the same serial number as the serial number on the charging case.
The serial number on the charging case should match the serial number on the box they came with.