As an owner of Chromecast Audio, I’ve been frustrated trying to figure out whether it has Bluetooth capabilities. After doing some research and testing, I’m here to share what I found out and other solutions I discovered.
Unfortunately, Chromecast Audio didn’t support a Bluetooth connection, so you had to physically connect the device to your audio system or speakers via a 3.5 mm cable. Instead, the device has a WiFi adapter that lets you control your devices via a local network.
|Chromecast Audio cannot be paired via Bluetooth|
|Connect Chromecast Audio to speakers via 3.5 mm jack|
|Chromecast with Google TV has Bluetooth capabilities|
|Enable pairing mode to connect Bluetooth devices|
|Select default music speaker and put in pairing mode|
Do Google Chromecast Audio Have Bluetooth Capabilities?
The simple answer to this question is no. The Chromecast Audio doesn’t have any Bluetooth capabilities, so it can’t be paired with any speakers or audio systems via Bluetooth.
The Chromecast Audio is one of Chromecast’s second generation models, and similar to the Chromecast 2.0 released in the same year, the Audio one also had a Marvell Armada 1500 Mini Plus 88DE3006 system on its chip.
Although this chip allowed for excellent audio quality and relatively fast performance, it didn’t have a Bluetooth transmitter on it. In fact, all Chromecast devices made prior to 2019 didn’t support Bluetooth connections.
This actually makes sense because the Chromecast Audio mainly targeted relatively old audio systems that didn’t have any Bluetooth connectivity options.
Instead, the chip has a powerful WiFi 2.4/5 GHz adapter that allows users to control these devices via the Google Home app.
How Does Chromecast Audio Connect to a Device?
While regular Chromecast devices are connected to TVs and monitors via an HDMI cable, the Chromecast Audio is specifically designed to connect to speakers, home audio systems, and headphones via a 3.5 mm jack.
How to Set Up a Chromecast Audio
Although Chromecast Audio doesn’t support Bluetooth, setting up the device on your speakers is pretty easy and shouldn’t take any time at all.
The Google Chromecast Audio comes with a power adapter that is connected directly to the wall as a source of power.
Even if your speaker has a Micro USB power capable of delivering enough current to power up the device, you should use the adapter to avoid current issues. (as recommended by Google)
To set up the device, here’s what you need to do:
- Start by connecting the Chromecast Audio device to a power source, either by connecting the USB directly to the speaker USB port or by connecting it to the power adapter that comes with it
- Connect the Chromecast Audio device to the Speaker using the 3.5 mm jack that comes with the device. The two ends of the jack are identical, so you can plug it in any orientation and it should work fine.
- Download and install the Google Home app on your device, which is available for both iOS and Android devices.
- Open the app, and tap the “Add +” icon at the top left corner, then choose to set up a device. Make sure that you choose “New Device” to register the Chromecast.
- Follow the instructions provided by the app to identify and pair the device using a WiFi connection.
Once you’re done, you can now navigate to the Chromecast Audio tab in the app, which allows you to control the speakers through the local network.
Read more: Can Chromecast work without HDMI?
What Chromecast Devices Have Bluetooth?
As previously mentioned, all Chromecast devices of the older generations didn’t have Bluetooth features built into them. In fact, even the new generation Chromecast 3.0 doesn’t support a Bluetooth connection.
The only Chromecast device with Bluetooth capabilities is the Chromecast with Google TV, which was released in September 2020.
Read more: Can you use Chromecast with Sonos?
How to Pair Speakers and Headphones to New Chromecast Devices Via Bluetooth
If you have a Chromecast with Google TV and you want to pair them with speakers, headphones, and home audio systems via Bluetooth, here’s what you need to do:
- Open the Google Home app
- Tap the Chromecast with Google TV icon on your home profile, then open the settings by touching the gear icon
- Head to Audio > Pair Bluetooth Devices, and select “Enable Pairing Mode”
- Tap the “Default Music Speaker” box in the Audio section, and choose Bluetooth Speaker.
- Put your sound system into Bluetooth pairing mode.
- Allow the app to scan for nearby Bluetooth devices, then choose the device you want.
This wraps it up for today’s guide that walks you through Chromecast Audio features and capabilities.
While Chromecast Audio is a decent device that allows you to control any speakers using your Google Home app, the device doesn’t support a Bluetooth connection, so you always need to connect it to the speakers with a 3.5 mm jack.
However, if you want a Chromecast device that also supports Bluetooth, you should consider the all-new Chromecast with Google TV.
Although this one is specifically used for HDTVs, it has Bluetooth 4.2 adapter that allows you to pair your speakers to them without a physical connection.