As an owner of both an LG Magic Remote and an Apple TV, I was frustrated to learn that the two devices weren’t compatible. After a bit of research and testing, I’m excited to share how I was able to make them work together, as well as some other solutions I discovered that could be useful for others looking to do the same. In this blog post, I’ll be discussing the does LG Magic Remote work with Apple TV question, and sharing how to make them compatible.
Yes! LG magic remote works with Apple TV. The LG Magic remote is universal, so you don’t have to own an LG TV to use it. Though you might not benefit from all the remote’s features on Apple TV and pairing the remote to the Apple TV may be complicated, you can follow some simple steps to enjoy your Magic remote.
|Make sure your Apple TV isn’t assigned to a specific device in the “Input Manager”.|
|Activate HDMI-CEC on your LG TV.|
|Turn off the “Standby” option on your Apple TV.|
|Turn off the Simplink Function on your LG TV.|
|Replace the batteries in your remote.|
|Unpair the remote, then pair it again.|
|Ensure that your remote is correctly set up.|
|Reset the remote by pressing the ‘Back’ and ‘Home’ buttons simultaneously for five seconds, or until the remote blinks three times.|
Does LG Magic Remote Work With Apple TV?
The LG Magic remote is a universal remote. This means it can connect to most audio and video devices, including your Apple TV. In fact, the LG Magic Remote has an auto-device detection feature for many devices. So, it can automatically detect your Apple TV and pair to it.
However, the LG Magic remote isn’t the best option for Apple TVs. That’s because the remote doesn’t officially support Apple TVs. So, you won’t benefit from all the features on your LG Magic Remote. Additionally, you might face some difficulties when pairing your LG Magic Remote with Apple TV, but there is a way around this.
You can configure your LG remote using your LG TV to adjust some of the input methods of the Apple TV. This way, the Apple TV can receive the signals coming from the LG magic remote.
That’s because the LG Magic remote doesn’t work like other traditional remotes. Instead of using infrared, some of the remote functions connect to the device via Bluetooth or radiofrequency. That’s why the LG magic remote can pair with virtually any device.
Read more: Can you use Spectrum remote with Apple TV?
How to Pair LG Magic Remote to Apple TV
Typically, the LG magic remote can automatically pair to any device. However, since it isn’t particularly made for Apple TV, you’ll need to manually pair the remote to the TV.
While there’s no official method to pair the LG Magic Remote with Apple TV, it’s not difficult at all. There are many other ways that might do the trick.
Still, connecting the LG Magic remote to the Apple TV doesn’t mean it’ll automatically work, so you’ll also need to have an Apple remote at hand.
After connecting your Apple TV to the remote, you can proceed with the following steps:
- Using your LG Magic remote, go to the input method selected for Apple TV.
- Using your Apple TV remote, go to the “Settings” menu on Apple TV.
- Choose the “General” option.
- Scroll down to the “Remotes” option and click on it.
- In the “Remotes Menu”, select “Learn Remote”.
- Press “Start” and bring your LG Magic remote.
- Follow the instructions on the screen by pressing and holding the buttons shown on the LG Magic Remote.
- Press “Continue”, name your remote, and press “Submit”. While you don’t have to input a name for your remote, it might be a good idea if you have multiple remotes that you want to pair with your Apple TV.
- Press Ok, and your LG Magic remote is now ready to be used on your Apple TV.
What to Do if You Can’t Pair the LG Magic Remote with Apple TV?
Sometimes, you can follow all the steps, yet the remote just won’t pair. So, here are some tips that might help you get through this frustrating situation
- Make sure your Apple TV isn’t assigned to a specific device in the “Input Manager”. If you see any other connected devices, you should delete them and try pairing the remote again.
- Activate HDMI-CEC on your LG TV.
- Turn off the “Standby” option on your Apple TV.
- Turn off the Simplink Function on your LG TV.
- Replace the batteries: even if your remote is new, it might have stale batteries.
- Unpair the remote, then pair it again.
- Ensure that your remote is correctly set up.
- Reset the remote by pressing the ‘Back’ and ‘Home’ buttons simultaneously for five seconds, or until the remote blinks three times.
The LG Magic remote is one of the best remotes on the market. So, does the LG Magic Remote work with Apple TV?
The LG Magic Remote doesn’t officially support Apple TV. However, there is a way to pair the Apple TV with the LG Magic remote. This is done by connecting the LG remote to Apple TV, then, using the “Learn Remote” option.
Now you can enjoy all your favorite movies and shows on your Apple TV while using LG Magic Remote.