As an owner of a Harmony remote, I know how frustrating it can be when you’re unable to connect it to your Apple TV. After spending hours trying to figure it out, I decided to do some research and testing to find a solution. Now, I’m here to share how I solved the problem, as well as other solutions I discovered. In this blog post, I will guide you through the process of connecting your Harmony remote to your Apple TV.
According to Logitech themselves, yes. The company says that all Apple TV models are also compatible with the Harmony universal remotes.
Why can’t I set up my Harmony remote to work with my Apple TV then? The setup process for Harmony’s Hub-based remotes differs from that of Harmony infrared (IR) remotes.
|Topic||Logitech Harmony Remotes and Apple TV|
|Compatibility||Logitech Harmony remotes are compatible with all Apple TV models.|
|Connection (Hub-Based)||Connecting your Harmony Hub-Based remote to your Apple TV involves scanning for Wi-Fi devices, creating an activity, and answering a series of questions.|
|Connection (IR)||Connecting your Harmony IR remote to your Apple TV involves logging into your MyHarmony account, selecting your Harmony product, adding a device, and syncing the remote.|
|Hub-Based vs. IR||Hub-based remotes use Wi-Fi or Bluetooth and connect to a Harmony Hub to control all your devices, while IR remotes use infrared signals to control devices.|
|Discontinuation||Logitech has discontinued their Harmony remote line in 2021, but they are still available until stocks are depleted.|
How Do I Connect My Harmony Remote to My Apple TV?
Harmoney Remotes can be used with your Apple TV; it all depends on which type of Harmoney remote you have and how you get it to connect and work with your Apple TV.
Logitech Harmoney Hub-Based Remotes
The setup process for Harmoney Hub-Base remotes like the Harmoney Pro, Harmoney Elite, Harmoney Companion, and Harmoney Smart Control for your Apple TV is as follows.
- From your mobile device, go to MENU. Next, go to Harmoney Set-Up/ Add/Edit Devices and Activities.
- Then tap the Add Device button at the bottom of the screen after selecting Devices.
- Select SCAN FOR WI-FI DEVICES to have Harmony scan your home Wi-Fi network for Apple TVs.
- You’ll be prompted to create an activity once you’ve added it. Then select yes.
- Continue answering the questions to develop your Apple TV Watch.
- Select your appropriate Activity devices and inputs by following the on-screen instructions.
- You will be able to control the Apple TV through Harmony once it has been formed.
Logitech Harmoney IR Remotes
Have a Harmoney IR style remote like the Harmoney 950 Advance, Harmoney 750, Harmoney 650? The setup is as follows.
- From your desktop login to your My Harmony account.
- On the Remote Gallery screen, choose your Harmony product.
- Looking to the left, select the Devices tab.
- Select the button to add a device.
- Enter Apple as the manufacturer and Apple TV as the model number.
- You’ll be prompted to choose which generation your Apple TV is.
To create an Apple TV Activity (optional)
- Go to the left side of the screen and select the Activities tab.
- Add an activity by clicking the Add Activity button.
- Select an activity, “Watch Apple TV,” and then hit next.
- To complete your activity, go through the series of questions again.
- After you’ve finished, remember to sync your remote after making any modifications.
- Now log in to your MyHarmony account again to finish the setup.
- From the Remote Gallery screen, choose your Harmony product.
- Go to the Devices tab.
- Click on the Scan for devices button in the middle of the page.
- You’ll be prompted to use the accompanying USB cable to connect your Harmony to your computer. Harmony will then look for Apple TV on your home Wi-Fi network. Ascertain that both the Apple TV and the Harmony hub are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
What Are Hub-Based Remotes?
Read more: can you set an alarm on Apple TV?
Logitech Hub-based remotes use Wi-Fi or Bluetooth and connect to a Harmony Hub to control all your devices.
Such as your smart home devices, your smart home gadgets (e.g., smart lighting, thermostats, blinds, other hubs, etc.), and your gadgets in your entertainment center.
You control everything with a Harmony Hub-based remote. The Alexa and Google Home smart speakers are also compatible with Harmony Hub-based goods.
Read more: Does Apple TV have a sleep timer?
What Are IR Remotes?
IR remotes do not use a Harmoney hub and operate using infrared signals to control other devices that use IR signals.
So, there is no Wi-Fi or Bluetooth compatibility with these types of remotes. Still, IR remotes can be used to control everything in your entertainment center as long as it is in range.
Pros of Harmony remote with Apple TV
- Comprehensive compatibility for all streaming media services.
- Simple setup process.
- Works flawlessly with a single touch.
Cons of Harmony remote with Apple TV
- Logitech has discontinued their Harmony remote line.
- IR remotes do not use a Harmony hub and require infrared signals.
- Setup process may be complicated for some users.
Logitech Harmony remotes are comprehensive compatibility for all streaming media services, including Apple TV. After setting it up correctly, it works flawlessly with a single touch.
Have you found your interest peaked in Logitech Harmoney remotes? Sadly, back in 2021, Logitech quietly discontinued their Harmoney remote line.
Meaning they will no longer be making any more Harmoney remotes. The good news is you can still get one as they will still be available till all stocks of them are depleted.