As a laptop owner, I know how frustrating it can be when you can’t seem to figure out how to connect your laptop to your TV. After hours of research and trial and error, I finally figured out how to connect my Lenovo laptop to my TV using HDMI and wirelessly. In this post, I’m sharing my experience and solutions in the hopes that it can help other Lenovo laptop owners connect their laptop to their TV as well.
How to Connect Lenovo Laptop to TV Using HDMI
HDMI wires are the most basic way to connect laptops to TVs. These cables can transfer high-quality video and audio signals to external devices, such as projectors and monitors.
The best part is that linking Lenovo laptops to TVs is pretty simple. All you need is an HDMI cable, your laptop, a compatible TV, and the remote.
Let’s take a closer look at how to connect Lenovo laptops to TVs using HDMI!
Step 1: Plug HDMI Cable Into TV
Most TVs use standard HDMI (type A) cables. Just plug one side of the HDMI wire into the corresponding port on your TV. Usually, you’ll find the HDMI port on the bottom left side of the TV.
Note the port number you’ve plugged the cable into if your TV has more than one HDMI port. You’ll need that information when choosing the display input settings later on.
Step 2: Plug HDMI Cable Into Laptop
First things first, plug the power cable into your laptop and turn on your Lenovo device.
After powering your laptop, plug in the other side of the HDMI cable. Make sure the connection isn’t shaky.
Almost all Lenovo laptops come with at least one HDMI port. However, some ultraportable Lenovo laptops and ThinkPads have other types of portals, including:
- USB-C Port
You’ll usually find mini- and micro-HDMI ports in smaller devices and portable monitors. In that case, you can directly connect the two small HDMI ports using a cable.
However, if you can’t find a mini- or micro-HDMI port on your TV, you can connect it to your laptop using a mini-HDMI or micro-HDMI adaptor. Similarly, you’ll need a USB-C, DisplayPort, or Thunderbolt to HDMI adaptor to connect the former ports to your TV.
Step 3: Switch the HDMI Source on Your TV
This step may vary from one TV model to another. However, you’ll need to switch the HDMI source on your TV so that it recognizes your Lenovo laptop.
Here’s what to do:
- On your remote, press the “Source” or “Input” button.
- Scroll through the dropdown menu.
- Choose the HDMI port you’ve plugged the cable into (i.e., HMDI one, two, three, or four).
- Once you choose the port, press the “Ok” button.
How to Wirelessly Connect Lenovo Laptop to TV
Wireless screen sharing and Miracast can connect your Lenovo laptop to your TV without wires. The former method is only achievable with smart TVs, while the latter can connect to older TVs.
Let’s discuss each method in detail!
Connect Lenovo Laptop to TV Using Wireless Screen Sharing
You’ll need to link your smart TV and Lenovo laptop to the same Wi-Fi to connect them via wireless screen sharing.
After connecting your TV to Wi-Fi, do the following on your Lenovo device:
- Click on the Windows icon.
- Choose “Settings.”
- Select “System.”
- Click on “Connect to a wireless display” at the bottom.
- On the right-hand side of the screen, you’ll see all devices connected to the same Wi-Fi; choose the TV.
- Click “Allow” on the pop-up menu on your TV asking to confirm the connection with your Lenovo laptop.
Connect Lenovo Laptop to TV Using Miracast
Miracast doesn’t rely on compatibility or apps. It can work with most TV devices that support wireless display adapters.
All you need is a Microsoft wireless display adapter and a Windows 10 laptop or higher.
Here’s what you need to do to use Miracast:
- Plug the HDMI port of the wireless displayer into your TV.
- Connect the USB end to your TV (if possible), power adapter, another USB power supply, or even your smartphone.
- Some TVs might require you to change the network settings. Refer to your TV manual to set your TV on a wired connection.
- On your laptop, click on the “action center” in the taskbar.
- Click “Expand” and select “Connect.”
- Choose your display adapter and double-click to connect.
So, how to connect Lenovo laptop to TV?
You can connect your Lenovo device to your TV via HDML cables or wirelessly.
Generally, HDMI cables offer better quality. Plus, it’s the easier solution, since most TVs come with at least one HDMI port. Just plug the HDMI cable into your laptop and TV. Then change the HDMI input settings on your TV.
For a wireless connection, you can directly connect both devices via screen sharing if you own a smart TV. Keep in mind that your laptop and TV must connect to the same Wi-Fi network.
Alternatively, you can plug a wireless display adaptor into your TV. Then, connect your Lenovo device to the wireless display adaptor so that your TV mirrors the laptop’s screen.