I recently purchased a Vizio Smart TV and was eager to connect it to my DirecTV service to start streaming my favorite shows and movies. Unfortunately, I quickly became frustrated when I realized I had no idea how to do it. After a bit of research and trial and error, I was finally able to connect my Vizio Smart TV to my DirecTV service.
In this blog post, I’ll share the tips and tricks I used, as well as other solutions I discovered in the process.
With the help of various media streaming devices such as DirectTV Stream, Amazon FireStick, as well as Roku, you can still enjoy DirectTV. Likewise, you can use screen mirroring technologies like AirPlay and Chromecast to achieve similar results.
|Connect via DirectTV Stream||DirectTV Stream Device||1. Connect device to TV with HDMI cable|
2. Plug in and pair remote
3. Connect to Wi-Fi
4. Follow on-screen instructions
|Connect via Amazon FireStick||Amazon FireStick||1. Connect FireStick to TV with HDMI cable|
2. Search and download DirectTV app
3. Launch app
|Connect via Roku Device||Roku Streaming Stick, Roku Express||1. Connect Roku device to TV with HDMI cable|
2. Search and add DirectTV Stream channel
3. Launch channel
|Connect via AirPlay/Chromecast||AirPlay (iOS), Chromecast (Android)||1. Create DirectTV account|
2. Install DirectTV Stream app on device
3. Connect to same Wi-Fi
4. Cast content to Vizio TV
How to Connect Vizio Smart TV to DirecTV
To connect your Vizio Smart TV to DirectTV, you need to download the DirectTV app. However, the application isn’t natively available on Vizio TVs. That said, you need a streaming device to get the app.
Below are some of the media streaming devices you can use to download the DirectTV app. Let’s look at how these devices can help you.
Connect via DirectTV Stream Device
The DirectTV Stream device is an easy-to-install TV programming box that allows you to connect your Vizio Smart TV to DirectTV. This piece of technology lets you enjoy various live TV shows and other content.
Here’s how you can set up the device and connect your Vizio Smart TV with DirectTV:
- Connect your DirectTV Stream device and your Vizio TV using an HDMI cable.
- Plug the device into a wall outlet and wait for the red light to blink.
- Press the “Source” or “Input” buttons on your TV remote, then change the input accordingly.
- Grab the DirectTV Stream remote and then point it to the DirectTV Stream.
- Pair the remote and the device by simultaneously pressing the remote’s Rewind and Fast Forward buttons.
- Press and hold them for 2 to 3 seconds.
- Wait for an on-screen message confirming that the DirectTV Stream remote is ready to use.
- Select your Wi-Fi name from the list, then key in your password.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to sign in.
- Once done, you will be asked what part of the house your DirectTV is being used (e.g. living room, kitchen, kid’s room, etc.)
- Use the remote to select and answer the question.
- Follow the last onscreen instructions to load and use the DirectTV Stream device.
Connect via Amazon FireStick
You may also use the Amazon FireStick to connect your Vizio Smart TV to DirectTV. Read on to know how.
- Connect the Amazon FireStick to your Vizio Smart TV using an HDMI cable.
- Use the remote to navigate to Amazon FireStick’s home screen, and then select the “Search” icon.
- Type “DirectTV” into the search bar.
- Select the app’s icon, and then click the “Download” button.
- Wait for the download to finish, then press the “Open” button to launch the app.
Connect via Roku Device
Let’s find out how to use them to get your desired results!
- Use an HDMI cable to connect your Roku device to the TV.
- Once connected, go to the home screen by pressing the “Home” button on your Roku remote.
- Press the “Search Channel” button to search for the DirectTV Stream channel.
- Click on the “Direct TV Stream” option, then press “Add Channel.”
- Wait for the Roku device to add the Direct TV Stream channel, and then select “OK.”
- After that, hit the “Home” followed by the “Right Arrow” button using the Roku remote.
- Choose the Direct TV Stream channel.
- Hit the “OK” button to launch the channel.
Connect via AirPlay and Chromecast
Even without a media streaming device, there’s another way to connect your Vizio TV to DirectTV.
Here’s how you can you either device to reach your goal:
- Create an account on DirectTV.
- Download and install the DirectTV Stream app on your iOS or Android device.
- Launch the app, then sign in using your DirectTV account login credentials.
- Connect your Vizio Smart TV and iOS/Android device to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Choose DirectTV content and play it on your smartphone/tablet.
- With the content playing, tap the AirPlay/Chromecast icon.
- Select Vizio TV to cast the DirectTV content to your television and enjoy your favorite shows!
To connect Vizio Smart TV to DirectTV, you don’t need to be a tech wizard!
You just need the help of a streaming device. However, if grabbing one isn’t within your budget, you’ve learned that you can still use your smartphone or tablet to connect your Vizio TV to DirectTV easily.