We’ve become so used to having built-in mics on headsets that we sometimes take them for granted. Yet, sometimes, our choice of headset can make using the mic unbearable.
That’s where AirPods come in.
ِApple’s compact earbuds are functional, versatile, and lightweight. Best of all, they’re not just limited to Apple gadgets. You can also connect them to any PC via Bluetooth to take calls, write down notes, and join in discussions.
Interested in finding out more about how to use AirPods as a mic on a PC? Keep reading!
How to Use AirPods as Mic on a PC
Apple AirPods are great for listening to music, podcasts, and audiobooks. You can wear them on your way to work, during workouts, or when relaxing after a long day.
Yet, they can do so much more than just provide you with listening entertainment.
For starters, AirPods come with a high-quality built-in microphone. The accelerometers and sensors in the device promote clear voice transmissions.
Then, with each new model, comes a better and more reliable unit. One example is the latest 3rd generation AirPods designed to work well even in windy conditions!
This is why they’re more appealing than other earpieces on the market. The clear voice input makes the device excellent for taking personal calls, online classes, or meetings.
However, while you can easily pair and use them on your phone, it can be tricky on a PC. That’s why we put together this how-to guide to help get you started.
Take a look.
- Connect the AirPods to the PC
First, make sure that the AirPods and PC are connected properly. To pair your AirPods, turn on the Bluetooth from the setup button on the back of the case by pressing it for a couple of seconds until it starts flashing white.
Then, follow these steps to connect the Airpods to your PC. You’ll only need to do this once. The next time you try to connect, your PC will remember the earbuds and connect automatically.
- First, open your laptop and head to “Settings.”
- Next, click on “Devices” and choose “Bluetooth & devices.”
- Then, toggle the switch next to “Bluetooth” to the ‘ON’ position.
- After activating the Bluetooth, you’ll find “Add Bluetooth & other devices” or just “Add device” if you’re using Windows 11.
- Select the Airpods from the pop-up screen and wait for the PC to finalize the connection.
- Change The Microphone Settings On a PC
Now that your AirPods are connected to your PC, it’s time to check that you’re using the mic on the AirPods and not the computer’s.
- First, click on the “Start” menu.
- Next, head to “Control Panel.” If you can’t find it, type “Control Panel” in the search bar.
- Choose “Hardware and sound.”
- Then, select “Sound” or click on “Manage audio devices.”
- From the new pop-up menu, choose the “Recording” tab.
- Finally, right-click on the name of the AirPods and choose “Set As Default device.”
How to Use AirPods as a Microphone on MacOS
Just as you do with Windows PCs, you’ll need to connect your AirPods and check the microphone settings on your Mac.
The steps are pretty much the same, with a few turns and twists here and there. Check it out.
Read more: Why are AirPods so uncomfortable?
Pair Your AirPods with the MacBook
The first thing you need to do is turn on the Bluetooth function on your AirPods. Remember to hold down the setup button in their charging case until it flashes white.
Then, follow these steps to connect your AirPods to the MacBook.
- First, open your MacBook.
- Next, click on the Apple menu in the top left corner of the screen.
- Then, click on “System Preferences.”
- Select “Bluetooth.”
- Finally, choose your AirPods from the device list.
Adjust the Mic Settings on a macOS
Read more: Why do my AirPods only last one hour?
Now that both the AirPods and the PC are connected, it’s time to check the settings to ensure you’re using the mic on the AirPods, not the MacBook.
Generally, your Mac should be able to switch automatically to your AirPods as a microphone. Yet, the problem may be that you’re choosing one unit instead of both.
Here’s how to make sure the microphone is activated on both earpieces:
- First, click on the Apple menu at the top of your Mac’s screen.
- Next, Select “System Preferences.”
- Then, choose “Bluetooth and press on “Options” next to the name of your earbuds.
- Next, click on the “Microphone” settings menu.
- Finally, from the dropdown menu, choose “Automatically Switch AirPods.”
Now, both your earpieces should work how you want them to!
To Sum Up
You’re now an expert on how to use AirPods as a mic on a PC. After reading our how-to guide, you know exactly what to do whether you’re working with Windows or macOS.
You’re now all set to answer phone calls, attend meetings, or record your to-do list. With AirPods, the sky’s the limit!