As an avid user of both AirPods and Discord, I know how frustrating it can be to figure out how to use them together. After doing some research, I’m here to share how I solved the problem and some of the other solutions I discovered. In this blog post, I’ll explain how to use AirPods in Discord, so that you can start listening to your favorite streaming services and having a better gaming experience.
|AirPods can be used for two-way communication in Discord.
|AirPods may require some adjustments to computer settings to work correctly with Discord.
|AirPods may need to be set as the default audio device to be recognized by Discord.
|Common microphone issues on Discord can be fixed by logging out and restarting the app, granting microphone access, and disabling Exclusive Mode.
Table of Contents
Can you use AirPods in Discord?
Discord relays on headphones for their users to communicate with others. So it’s only natural for AirPods owners to want to use their wireless earbuds while in Discord.
Thankfully, AirPods do work in Discord. Although you may have to alter some of your computer’s settings for the headphones to work properly in Discord.
Can you talk with AirPods in Discord?
One of AirPod’s great features is its microphone, which provides high quality communication in a wireless form. This means you can use the AirPods for more than just listening to audio. You can take phone calls and utilize two-way communication on a wide array of platforms.
Furthermore, once connected to your computer, you can use AirPods to talk on both the desktop version and browser version of Discord.
How to use airpods in Discord?
Before you use your AirPods in Discord, you may have to connect them to your computer. This will be required if you have never connected them to the computer before. This is a rather simple process that takes only a few minutes. To connect your AirPods to your computer:
- Go to your computer’s settings, and locate the Main Menu. Click on “Devices.”
- Click on “Bluetooth & Other Devices”, which is located on the settings panel.
- Check to ensure Bluetooth is switched to “On.”
- Click on “Add Bluetooth Or Other Devices”, and then select Bluetooth located in the “Add A Device” window.
- With your AirPods inside the charging case, open the case’s lid and then press and hold the setup button located on the back of the case. The light will start to blink an amber color before changing to white.
- Once the light changes to white, your AirPods will show in the “Add A Device” window.
- To connect them to your computer, click on “Pair.” The AirPods are now connected to your computer and you can use them on Discord.
Why won’t my airpods work in Discord?
There are a few troubleshooting steps you can try when your AirPods refuse to work in Discord.
Check The Bluetooth
One of the first things to check is to ensure the Bluetooth is enabled and that the headphones are actually paired with the computer. If not, complete the connecting instructions listed above to pair the AirPods with your computer.
Try Discord In Your Browser
Some users have reported problems with their desktop Discord transmitting audio to their AirPods, but have no problem using their AirPods in the browser version of Discord.
There is only speculation at this time as to what could be causing the issue, and there is currently no permanent fix. You will have to use Discord in the browser whenever you want to utilize your AirPods as the audio device.
AirPods Not Set As Default Audio
You may have to set the AirPods as the default audio device on your computer in order for them to work in Discord. To do this, right mouse click on the speaker icon, which is located on your computer’s taskbar. Then click on the Sound Settings menu, locate the Sound Control Panel, and click on the link.
Under the Playback tab is the list of devices that can playback audio on our computer. If the AirPods are not listed, right mouse click on the white space and select “Show Disabled Devices.” Right mouse click on your AirPods and then select them as the default audio device.
Check Sound Mixer
If Discord is muted in the Sound Mixer, then you will have issues hearing the audio through your AirPods, or any other headphones.
Thankfully, you can easily check if this is the problem by searching for “Sound Mixer” in your computer’s settings. Select the Sound Mixer when the prompt appears. Scroll to find Discord under the Volume and Device Preference section, and check to see if the volume is turned on.
Why are my AirPods mic not working on Discord?
A common complaint among Discord users is that they can hear other members on their channel, but no one can hear them. This can be a problem for all headphones and microphones, not just AirPods. While this issue is a frustrating one, there are some simple fixes to get your microphone working again.
Log out of Discord and then restart the problem.
Computers run multiple applications at the same time, which ends up resulting in each program competing for the system’s resources.
When this happens, little glitches and bugs can cause issues with Discord. Logging out and restarting Discord can fix many of the audio issues you are experiencing.
Make sure Discord has permission to access your microphone.
Sometimes, when Windows updates, it can automatically revoke microphone access to Discord. For Windows computers, go to the computer’s settings and then click on Privacy.
Select Microphone and then locate App Permissions, and ensure the “Allow Apps to Access your Microphone” is toggled on.
For Mac computers, go to the Apple Menu, then System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Microphone. Make sure Discord is listed in the list of apps that have permission to access the microphone.
Turn off Exclusive Mode.
Windows has an Exclusive Mode which gives permission for certain applications to take control of a device. What this means is that, when this mode is enabled, some applications can take control over the microphone and prevent Discord from using it.
To turn this mode off, right click on the Speaker icon located on the system tray, then click on Open Sound Settings > Microphone > Properties > Advanced.
Locate the Exclusive Mode and ensure the box for “Allow Applications To Take Exclusive Control Of This Device” is unchecked. If not, then uncheck the box and click on Apply. Restart the computer if you have to uncheck the box.
Why do my AirPods sound bad on discord?
The most common cause of AirPods that sound bad on discord is that your computer doesn’t have the right audio drivers installed. To ensure your drivers are up-to-date, bring up your computer’s device manager and locate the Sound, Video, and Game Controller options and click on > located to the left.
This will reveal a drop down box with a list of devices. Hover your mouse over Bluetooth and then right mouse click. In the pop up box, click on Update Driver Software.
Another possible cause is that the current audio system used by Discard isn’t compatible with AirPods. A possible fix for this issue is to enable the Legacy Audio Subsystem on the desktop version of Discord.
This is done by launching the desktop version of Discord, then clicking on Voice and Video under the App Settings.
Find and select Audio Subsystem. In the drop down box, select Legacy. Then simply save the changes before restarting Discord.
- AirPods do work in Discord, although you may have to alter some of your computer’s settings for the headphones to work properly.
- AirPods can be used for two-way communication on Discord, so you can talk to other players.
- To use AirPods in Discord, you may have to connect them to your computer and sometimes have to set them as the default audio device.
- Logging out and restarting Discord, giving it permission to access the microphone, and turning off Exclusive Mode can help fix common microphone issues.
- If Discord is muted in the Sound Mixer, then you will have issues hearing the audio through your AirPods.
- You may have to set the AirPods as the default audio device on your computer in order for them to work in Discord.
- When Windows updates, it can automatically revoke microphone access to Discord.
- Windows has an Exclusive Mode which gives permission for certain applications to take control of a device.