One of Apple’s Bluetooth products, the Powerbeats Pro, is known for its superb and balanced sound. It’s also renowned for its ability to withstand splashes and sweat.
Each wireless earbud has its own volume and track controls. It’s one of the reasons why Powerbeats Pro has become so popular among athletes looking to take their workouts and activities to the next level.
However, some have reported that their earbuds occasionally make strange sounds, like static, buzzing, or ringing noises, in one or both earbuds. Despite their durability, they’re still susceptible to minor bumps and bruises that can damage their audio output.
Here are a few reasons why your Powerbeats Pro is making weird sounds and some quick fixes to help you resolve the problem.
4 Reasons Why Powerbeats Pro Is Making Weird Sounds
The following are four possible reasons why your Powerbeats Pro is making weird sounds.
- Needs Rebooting
Attempting a reboot is typically the first step to take when a device is having issues. Here are three ways different ways to do it:
Let it Rest
Many people take for granted that their Powerbeats Pro just needs to rest. So, every once in a while, put them back in their case and give them a few minutes to charge.
Once they’re fully charged and rested, take them out once more and give them a try to determine if the noise has subsided.
Disconnect and Pair Again
Same as giving them some rest can be helpful, sometimes all it takes is to unpair and then re-pair your Powerbeats Pro to your device. Here’s how:
- First, go to the Settings app, then tap on ‘Bluetooth.’
- Next, look for your Powerbeats Pro in the list of devices connected to your phone.
- Tap the information icon next to it and select the ‘Forget This Device’ option.
- After a few seconds or minutes, turn it on and repeat the pairing process.
- Finally, connect it to your Powerbeats Pro and check if the buzzing is gone.
Reset Your Powerbeats Pro
You can also try resetting your Powerbeats Pro by following these steps:
- First, disconnect your Powerbeats Pro from the device it’s paired to.
- Then, place the earbuds back into the case and open the lid.
- Find the system button, then press and hold it for a few seconds or until the LED light flashes red and white, then release it.
- Wait for a few seconds or minutes before checking to see if the noise is gone.
- Getting Interference
Your Powerbeats Pro will create static noise if it’s close to other Bluetooth devices. It’s similar to what your phone occasionally does when placed near a desktop or laptop.
Luckily, this problem is easy to resolve. Just follow these instructions:
If you don’t need noise cancellation:
If the noise canceling of your Powerbeats Pro is active, turn it off and listen if the static sound is gone. If you can’t hear any weird noises, then it was probably a result of the interference your earbuds are getting from other Bluetooth-connected devices.
If you do need the noise cancellation:
If you need your noise cancellation to be active, try to move around when you hear static. You’ll notice the sound intensifies when you’re facing a certain direction.
Whatever device is over there must be what’s causing the static noise. It can be a speaker, a keyboard, or even a PC. to resolve this issue, either turn off that device, put it away, or sit somewhere else.
- Charging Issue
Charging your Powerbeats Pro through your PC could be one reason your earbuds are acting up. The reason is that due to the weak voltage running from the PC, your device must not be getting enough power, which can cause weird buzzing sounds.
Try charging it with a wall charger. Then, once it’s fully charged, check to see if the problem has been fixed.
- Firmware Update
Another reason your Powerbeats Pro is making weird noises could be because it’s not up to date. Software upgrades ensure that your gadget—and all devices it’s paired with—operates as it should.
Powerbeats Pro updates automatically when it’s synced with your device. So, it’s important to regularly update your device to avoid potential problems later on. Here’s how to check for updates on your device.
- First, connect the device to the Wi-Fi and go to the Settings function.
- Next, select ‘General’ and tap ‘Software Update’ to check for updates.
- If it displays ‘Current Software is up to date,’ then you’re good.
- However, if it says ‘Update Available,’ follow the instructions to update the device.
- Afterward, check to see whether your Powerbeats Pro is finally fixed.
Read more: How long do Powerbeats last?
We hope our guide has helped you pinpoint the source of the problem.
However, if nothing works from any of the methods we mentioned, and your Powerbeats Pro is still making weird sounds, then it’s likely to be damaged or suffering from a hardware malfunction. In that case, only a professional can help you fix it or tell you to buy a new pair.