As a frustrated TCL TV owner, I had a problem that I just couldn’t seem to figure out, my TV would only work in Movie Mode! After doing some research and testing, I’m here to share what I discovered and how I was able to fix the issue.
In this blog post, I will be discussing the possible causes for why this might be happening and the steps you can take to get your TV back to normal.
If your TCL TV only works in movie mode, there’s a chance that your device underwent a glitch. A sudden power interruption or a recent software update can cause this malfunction.
- If your TCL TV only works in Movie Mode, it could be due to a glitch or recent software update.
- To fix the issue, you can reboot, factory reset, or manually adjust your picture settings.
- For movies, it is best to use the Movie Mode; for streaming, use the Standard Mode; for sports, use the Sports Mode; and for gaming, use the Game Mode.
- The latest TCL TV models also offer a 120 Hz of refresh rate which works best for video games.
Why Does My TCL TV Only Work in Movie Mode?
A TCL TV has different display settings for different watching conditions. For example, movie mode works best for movies, and standard mode works relatively well for virtually any video.
This may be the case if any other picture settings on your TV give you either too dark or too light displays on a screen. Usually, glitches are the main culprit.
Lucky for you, this problem is nothing serious. So, you can easily restore the default settings.
How Do I Fix TCL TV Working in Movie Mode Only?
There are several ways to fix your device’s picture settings.
Reboot the TV
In most cases, a quick reboot is enough to get other picture settings working.
To reboot your TV, here’s your step-by-step guide:
- Press the Home button on your remote control. This opens your main screen.
- Select Settings.
- Look for System and select Power.
- Select System Restart.
- Select Restart.
- Finally, press the OK button to confirm.
Perform a Factory Reset
Sometimes, a simple rebooting doesn’t do the trick. Lucky for you, performing a factory reset is another way to fix your problem.
You can do a factory reset by following these simple steps:
- Turn your TV off.
- Remove all power cables.
- Press and hold your TV’s power button for 15 to 20 seconds.
- Press all buttons on your remote at least once.
- Plug your TV back and turn it on.
Manually Adjust Picture Settings
You may be able to make other picture settings work if you adjust them manually. However, this may take a lot of time, and it doesn’t guarantee that it’ll always work. Even so, it’s still worth trying.
The picture settings allow you to adjust brightness, contrast, and saturation based on your preferences. You can set this up at every TV broadcasting type and input source.
To manually adjust your TCL TV’s picture settings, here’s what you need to do:
- Press the Settings button on your remote control. This will lead you to the TV settings menu.
- Select Picture from the TV Settings menu and press OK.
- Select your preferred picture mode from the Picture Preset, and press OK.
- Press the down arrow to proceed to Brightness. Use left or right arrows to adjust.
- Press the down arrow again to proceed to Saturation. Use left or right arrows to adjust.
- If you want more control over the picture settings, proceed to Advanced Settings. This allows you to adjust the color, clarity, and screen settings.
What Mode Is Best for Watching Movies?
With the countless streaming sites available, we now choose to watch movies in the comfort of our own homes. What it lacks, though, is the cinema feel.
Fortunately, with a few tweaks on your TCL TV, you can recreate that cinematic experience. With the movie mode, you’ll get a cool and saturated preset perfect for dimmed surroundings.
What Mode Is Best for Watching Streams?
While you can still use movie mode for watching streams, it’s better to switch to standard mode.
The Standard Mode offers a common setting that can work for different types of content.
You can also switch to a Vivid Mode where colors have more contrast and pictures pop up more.
What Mode Is Best for Watching Sports?
TCL TVs also have a Sports Mode that improves movement and colors to adapt to fast motion.
The Sports Mode is designed to display smooth movements without blur. It also increases the saturation to make sporting environments more vivid.
You can toggle the button on for the Sports Mode on your TCL TV.
What Mode Is Best for Playing Video Games?
If you use your TCL TV for gaming, it also offers a Game Mode that makes your gaming experience better. This mode redirects video graphics to improve input lag.
The latest TCL TV models also offer a 120 Hz of refresh rate which works best for video games. While you can still use 60 Hz, some games may have difficulty functioning at this rate.
Having different picture modes on your TCL TV is great. However, when your TCL TV only works in movie mode, it can leave you unsatisfied when watching.
Of course, there are always ways to resolve this problem. You can either reboot, factory reset, or manually adjust your picture settings for a better watching experience.
Read more: AirPlay lagging on TCL TV