As an iPhone user, I have often wondered if it was possible to use my device as a Bluetooth speaker. Frustrated by the lack of answers, I decided to take matters into my own hands and find out for myself. After doing some research and testing, I’m here to share my findings and other solutions I’ve discovered.
Sadly, there’s no known way for turning an iPhone into a Bluetooth speaker until now. But you can opt for Wi-Fi, which is readily available.
|Tips for Using an iPhone as a Speaker via Wi-Fi
|Airfoil is a recommended app for turning an iPhone into a speaker via Wi-Fi.
|The Airfoil app can play audio from various sources, has a built-in equalizer, and can connect to multiple speakers.
|The free version of Airfoil has limitations, and connecting more than one speaker may cause audio lag.
|To use Airfoil, download Airfoil Satellite on your iPhone and Airfoil on the device sending the audio.
|TuneBlade is an alternative to Airfoil for streaming audio from Windows to an iPhone.
|AudioRelay can be used to turn an Android phone into a speaker for a computer, with or without a USB cable.
|Bluetooth speakers can be paired with an iPhone via the Bluetooth menu in the Settings app.
Table of Contents
How to Use an iPhone as a Speaker Via Wi-Fi?
I’ve looked through tens of apps that can convert an iPhone into a speaker and ended up opting for Airfoil due to its superiority over other apps. Here’s why:
Advantages of the Airfoil App
- Can play audio from pretty much everything: Spotify, Pandora, Chrome, Movies, and the list goes on
- Supports streaming to most devices, including Windows, Mac, Bluetooth speakers, and HomePods. You name it!
- Won’t scam you out of your money—unlike its competitor, AmpMe
- Can connect to more than one speaker
- Has a built-in equalizer
No app pros come without their cons, ever. Here are some of them:
Disadvantages of the Airfoil App
- Its full version is paid, but it’s only a one-time payment.
- The free version comes with limitations. Every 10 minutes, you’ll need to restart the whole app.
- When you connect more than one speaker, the audio will lag a bit until all speakers are in sync.
- You can’t install Airfoil on Windows, as the app doesn’t support it anymore.
How to Stream Audio to iPhone From Another Device Using Airfoil
Just note that Airfoil doesn’t support Windows. (But I’ll give you an alternative later)
After downloading both apps, follow these steps:
- Connect both devices to a local Wi-Fi network.
- Open Airfoil Satellite.
- Connect your iPhone to the other device.
- Open Airfoil and select the audio source (for ex: Spotify).
- Play the audio and voilà!
How to Stream Audio to iPhone From Windows
If you want to play audio from Windows, you’ll have to look for an alternative to Airfoil such as TuneBlade. Here’s how to use it:
- Download TuneBlade on your Windows device.
- Open TuneBlade.
- Once the app is open, it’ll automatically detect your iPhone. (make sure both are connected to the same Wi-Fi)
- Connect to your iPhone.
- Stream whatever you want!
Unfortunately, the free version of TuneBlade will stop streaming audio every 10 minutes—just like the Airfoil app. So, you’ve got to replay the audio.
How to Use Your Android Phone as a Speaker for Your Computer
Again, connect both devices to the same local Wi-Fi. Afterward, follow these steps:
- Open AudioRelay from your computer.
- Click on “Audio Source”.
- Choose the computer’s default speaker.
- Open AudioRelay, but this time from your phone.
- The app will automatically detect the computer, so select it to connect.
- Time to party!
Alternative Method to Connect to AudioRelay
If you want to enjoy crisp and clear audio quality, connecting through a USB cable is your best bet. You can do that by using the same app, AudioRelay.
Here’s what you’ll need to do:
- Connect the USB cable to your phone and computer.
- Select “Transfer Files” from the “Use USB to” pop-up.
- Open AudioRelay from your phone.
- Click on Settings.
- Select USB Tethering.
- Go to the main menu.
- The app will detect the connected computer, so click on it.
- Play audio like you normally would.
How to Pair Bluetooth Speakers to My iPhone
Here’s how you can connect a Bluetooth speaker to your iPhone:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Click on Bluetooth and turn it on.
- Look for the power and Bluetooth button on your speaker.
- Press the button until it turns on.
- Press on the Bluetooth button until it’s turned on, too.
- Your iPhone will detect the Bluetooth speaker.
- Below the Devices tab of the Bluetooth menu, you’ll find the Bluetooth speaker.
- Click on the detected speaker.
- Next to the speaker, you’ll find “connected” which means it successfully got paired with the iPhone.
Read more: How to tell if iPhone is fast charging
While it’s still not possible to use an iPhone as a Bluetooth speaker, you can easily do that via Wi-Fi. All you’ll need is just an app!
I hope that by the end of this article, your future road trip will be nothing short of a blast.
Lastly, if this helped, don’t forget to share it with someone who’ll benefit too. That’s a wrap!
Read more: iPhone burn in