As an Apple Pencil owner, I was frustrated when I noticed that my device was draining faster than I expected. After doing some research and testing, I’ve discovered the cause of this issue and have come up with some solutions. In this blog post, I’ll be sharing my experience and how I solved the issue, as well as other potential solutions I’ve discovered. So if you’re having the same issue and are wondering why your Apple Pencil drains so fast, this post is for you!
Likely reasons why your Apple Pencil has been draining fast are that the battery is dying or that it has a fault. However, if you use the Apple Pencil constantly, it will cause the Apple Pencil to drain faster.
Unfortunately, if your Apple Pencil has been draining very quickly, it would be likely that the cause is that you have a faulty Apple Pencil.
However, it might have more to do with how you are using the Apple Pencil or the way you have been charging it.
- If your Apple Pencil has been draining quickly, it could be due to a faulty battery or how you use/charge it.
- The Apple Pencil 1 should be charged by connecting it to the iPad’s lightning port, which will take 15 minutes and give 12 hours of use.
- The Apple Pencil 2 should be left attached to the iPad and will take 15 minutes to charge and give 12 hours of use.
- If you use the Apple Pencil constantly, it will not last the full 12 hours.
- To make your Apple Pencil last longer, leave it attached to the iPad or connect the Apple Pencil 1 to the iPad’s lightning port at a certain time each day.
How long should the Apple Pencil battery last?
The Apple Pencil 1 is usually charged by connecting the Apple Pencil to the lightning port on the iPad.
By charging the Apple Pencil this way, it will charge to full in just 15 minutes and this will give you 12 hours of use. You can also charge it for 15 seconds to get 30 minutes of use time.
To charge the Apple Pencil 2, you just leave it attached to the side of the iPad where the magnets are. To fully charge the Apple Pencil 2, it only takes 15 minutes and this will give 12 hours of use.
Since you can easily leave the Apple Pencil 2 attached to the iPad all the time, it will not be often that your Apple Pencil 2 will run out of battery.
Read more: does the Apple Pencil have an eraser?
However, if your pencil does run out of power, it will not be an issue since it only takes 15 seconds to charge it enough to get 30 minutes of use.
Because you can easily leave the Apple Pencil 2 connected to the iPad when you are not using it, you will rarely find that your Apple Pencil 2 does not have any power.
Also, even if you do find it without power, it is not an issue since you can charge it enough to last for 30 minutes in just 15 seconds.
Read more: Why is my Apple Pencil glitching?
In my experience, the Apple Pencil 2 keeps its charge for around 1-2 weeks, if you leave it unused after being fully charged.
Users also report in forums that their Apple Pencil 2’s lose about 15% of charge each day without use.
Why does my Apple Pencil drain so fast?
If your Apple Pencil does not last for 12 hours of regular use after being fully charged, it could be the case that you have a faulty battery.
This would be more likely if you recently allowed your Apple Pencil to go down to a 0% charge for more than a few days in a row.
There are a number of users who have found that their Apple Pencil’s batteries have died after being at 0% charge for more than a few days.
However, if you have had your Apple Pencil for a long time, it might also be the case that your pencil has lost some of its capacity. Generally, lithium-ion batteries are meant to last for 3-6 years of regular use.
While the Apple Pencil is meant to last for 12 hours when fully charged, it won’t last that long if you use the pencil constantly.
If you have been using the pencil to do things such as draw and you rarely put the pencil down, it will not last for the full 12 hours.
Also, it might be the case that you have not been charging your Apple Pencil correctly. You can check the amount of charge that you have left by swiping from left to right on the home or lock screen.
If it seems likely that the battery is to blame, the best option would be to take it to a local Apple Store to get it dealt with.
How to make your Apple Pencil last longer
In practice, the easiest way to avoid running out of power with the Apple Pencil 2 is to leave it attached to the iPad which will keep it at 100% charge.
To keep the Apple Pencil 1 charged, it would help to remember to connect it to the iPad’s lightning port at a certain time each day so that the pencil has a charge to be regularly charged.
- Apple Pencil 1 charges in 15 minutes and gives 12 hours of use.
- Apple Pencil 2 is easy to keep attached to the iPad and charges in 15 minutes and gives 12 hours of use.
- If the Apple Pencil runs out of power, it can be charged enough to last for 30 minutes in just 15 seconds.
- The Apple Pencil 2 lasts for around 1-2 weeks if left unused after being fully charged.
- The Apple Pencil can have a faulty battery if it has gone to 0% charge for more than a few days.
- The Apple Pencil has a limited life span of around 3-6 years.
- The Apple Pencil will not last 12 hours if it is used constantly.