An Apple Watch is a wearable smartwatch that lets you view and reply to text messages and emails, access your gallery and music, and make and receive calls. But occasionally, for no apparent reason, you experience issues like being unable to hear phone calls.
The most common cause why you can’t hear phone call on Apple Watch could be that your device has to be updated or rebooted. Sometimes all your Apple Watch needs is a restart or an update.
Here are a few causes of your problem and some quick fixes you can use to resolve it on your own before seeking professional help.
Why You Can’t Hear Phone Call on Apple Watch?
There are a few reasons why you can’t hear phone call on Apple Watch.
Connected to a Wireless Device
If you can’t hear phone calls on your Apple Watch, it can be that you might have forgotten you left it paired to your wireless headset or other similar devices.
This implies that the audio is going through the earphones, so you really won’t be able to hear anything on your smartwatch.
The reason why you’re having trouble hearing phone calls on your Apple Watch could also be that it’s not on the current version.
Your device’s ability to operate effectively and steadily is ensured by software upgrades. When you update, your Apple Watch will work more smoothly in addition to receiving the newest features.
It’s also likely that your watch requires cleaning and maintenance if you’re having trouble hearing phone calls on it.
Something might be blocking your microphone or speaker, and if it’s not an accessory or decoration that’s blocking them, then it may be dust.
Water on Your Apple Watch
Apple Watch is made to be resistant to water and splashes. However, this doesn’t necessarily mean that water can’t get into your smartwatch.
Maybe you’ve been around water lately, and it unknowingly got into your wearable, so it’s now causing troubles with your speaker.
Solutions if You Can’t Hear Phone Call on Apple Watch
Fortunately, most of the above-mentioned issues can be sorted out using simple solutions.
Like many other gadgets, restarting may seem simple, but it’s typically the first troubleshooting you can do to fix issues you may be having. You can restart your Apple Watch by following these few simple steps:
- To turn off your Apple Watch, press and hold the side button until the sliders show up.
- Drag and choose the red button that says Power Off.
- Wait a few seconds or minutes, then press and hold the side button again until the logo appears.
- When it’s turned on, check to see if you can finally hear your phone calls.
Force Restart Device
Sometimes there are glitches, so you may be unable to restart your device normally. If it’s necessary, you can try force restarting your Apple Watch. Here are the steps:
- For approximately 10 seconds, press and hold both the side button and the Digital Crown simultaneously.
- Once the logo appears, wait a few seconds or minutes, and then press and hold the side button again to turn it on.
- Try and make or receive a phone call to see if the problem has been resolved.
Note: You may restart the phone paired up with your Apple Watch as well.
Update Your Apple Watch
Follow these simple steps to update your Apple Watch.
- Connect your watch to the wi-fi or any internet connection you have access to.
- Press the Digital Crown to access your app screen.
- Open the Settings app on your watch.
- Tap General and choose Software Update.
- Install the software update, if it’s available, and then follow the instructions on the screen.
- Check to see if you can hear phone calls.
Disconnect Wireless Device
You can use your headset for your phone calls, but if you want to disconnect it, you may follow these steps:
- Open your app screen by pressing the Digital Crown.
- Open the Settings app, then tap Bluetooth.
- Next to the Bluetooth accessory that you want to disconnect is the info icon. Tap it.
- Choose Forget Device.
- See if you can finally hear your phone calls.
Clean Your Smartwatch
Here are a few steps on how to clean your smartwatch:
- Make sure to turn off your Apple Watch and remove it from the charger.
- If you have a leather strap or band, remove it as well.
- Only use a non-abrasive and lint-free cloth when wiping your watch clean, If necessary, you may also slightly dampen the cloth with fresh water.
- If you need to, you may hold your watch under light and warm running water for only about 10-15 seconds. Never use soap or other cleaning products.
- Dry your Apple Watch with only a non-abrasive, lint-free cloth.
Note: Using abrasive materials can damage the external components of your smartwatch and also badly affect its functionality.
If water got inside your watch, here’s how to manually eject water.
- Open your Control Panel by swiping up.
- Look for the water drop icon and tap it.
- Follow the instructions on the screen.
- Turn the Digital Crown until it says Unlocked. Your Apple Watch will be making a lot of sounds as it ejects water.
- Once done, check to see if you can now hear phone calls.
In summary, the most common causes why you can’t hear phone call on Apple Watch are that it needs to be updated to the latest version or that it has to be rebooted. Resetting your device and updating regularly can help fix it.
If you still have issues hearing phone calls, we suggest going to a professional.