As an iPhone and AirPods owner, I was recently frustrated when my AirPods charger stopped working. After doing some research, I’m here to share what I found out about whether or not you can use an iPhone charger for AirPods. I’ll be discussing the pros and cons of using an iPhone charger for AirPods, as well as other solutions that I discovered. So if you’re wondering if you can use an iPhone charger for AirPods, keep reading to find out!
|Easy to find and use||Not all iPhone chargers are compatible|
|Familiar||No wireless charging with wireless cases|
Can I Use the iPhone Charger for AirPods?
Yes, you can. AirPods charge via a Lightning port on the back of their carrying case. An iPhone also uses a Lightning port to charge, making an iPhone charger the obvious choice for charging AirPods.
However, in this day of wireless charging, Apple has decided to only include a USB-A to Lightning cable in the box with AirPods. It means that you cannot plug your AirPods directly into your iPhone or any other device with a Lightning port (such as an iPad). Instead, you have to use the provided cable and USB power adapters.
Can I Use the iPhone Charger for AirPods pro?
Yes. An iphone charger can charge your Aipods Pro. However, be warned that you will need to take extra care handling your AirPods Pro while charging. The AirPod Pro battery is smaller than the iPhone 11 battery.
Because of this, it is easier to damage the AirPod Pro battery if you connect it to a charger that is too powerful. When charging the AirPods Pro with an iPhone charger, there are two things to keep in mind:
- The charger needs to be correctly connected to the AirPods Pro. Remove the case and place the earbuds in a safe place while charging.
- When you want to use a different charger than your iPhone charger, make sure it is compatible with the AirPods Pro battery. Some chargers have been designed for Apple devices and may not work with other brands of earbuds or headphones.
Can I Use the Wireless iPhone Charger for AirPods?
AirPods only support Qi-based wireless charging. To charge the AirPods, you’ll need a wireless charger that supports Qi. The wireless AirPods charger and wireless iPhone charger are not compatible.
There are two versions of AirPods: one with a regular charging case and another with a wireless charging case. You can tell the two apart by looking at the charging cases — the standard version has a small button on the back, while the wireless version has an LED on the front.
The regular AirPods work with any Qi-enabled wireless charger (like those for iPhones) but only charge when placed inside their dedicated charging case. The case itself doesn’t have wireless charging capabilities.
The AirPods with wireless charging work with any Qi-enabled wireless charger, but they must be placed directly onto that charger without their protective case. The AirPods themselves do have a built-in Qi chip inside them to allow them to receive power wirelessly, while the standard AirPods don’t have this feature at all.
Can I Use the iPhone 11, 12, or 13 Chargers for AirPods?
- You can use your iPhone 11 charger for AirPods. The iPhone 11 comes with a USB-C to Lightning cable, connecting to your wall brick or computer to charge the phone. If you want to charge your AirPods, you need either the Lightning cable that came with your AirPods or a certified third-party variant.
- You can use the iPhone 12 charger for AirPods. The only difference is that the charger is pinned diagonally instead of vertically. The pins will still contact the AirPod charger and work just like a regular charger. The vertical pin will contact the bottom of the port, but it won’t hold it in a place like your charging cable does.
- The adapter supplied with the iPhone 13 is a dual-charger that supports both USB-C and Apple’s proprietary Lightning connector. It means you can use it on any iOS device, including your AirPods, without having to buy any additional accessories.
Can You Use a Different Charger for AirPods?
Yes! While Apple only provides a Lightning cable with the AirPods charging case. It’s possible to charge them using any cable that meets the power specifications for the device.
AirPods need a USB Type-A port delivering 5V at 0.5A (2.5W) of power to charge appropriately. The more energy you deliver, the faster they will replenish their batteries.
Since AirPods are so small and do not have large batteries inside them, they charge relatively quickly even when they’re running low on juice.
The safest way to do so is by using an Apple USB adapter wired to the charger that came with your AirPods. If you have a newer device, it may even have a fast charge feature, which charges your devices faster than average.
Read more: Can AirPods be used in the rain?
What Cord Charges AirPods?
AirPods come with two cables: a Lightning-to-USB cable and a Lightning-to-3.5mm headphone jack cable. It is primarily to help you charge your AirPods, which is essential because they don’t last as long as many other wireless earbuds.
The 3.5mm cable and the Lightning-to-USB cable can charge AirPods in a few ways:
- If you already have an iPhone charger plugged into a wall, you can use the Lightning-to-USB cableis included in the box with your AirPods.
- If you have an older iPhone charger, you can plug the 3.5mm cable into it using one of Apple’s USB adapters.
- You can plug the 3.5mm cable or the Lightning-to-USB cable into a computer USB port to charge your AirPods there.
- You can charge your AirPods using third-party chargers or docks compatible with Apple products and have either a USB or Lightning connection type.
Can I Use My AirPod Charging Case with a Wireless Charger?
You can charge your AirPod Charging Case with a Qi-certified charging mat or compatible accessory. You can buy these chargers from Apple directly or you can buy third party chargers.
How Do I Charge My AirPods with the Charging Case?
Connect your AirPods to the charging case with an open lid. If it’s already connected, detach it and reconnect it. Then close the lid. Your AirPods are charged by placing them inside the open lid of the charging case.
You can use any wireless charger that supports Qi charging. For example, you can connect your Apple Wireless Charging Case to a compatible wireless charger or place it on your iPhone XS Max, iPhone XS, or iPhone XR Smart Battery Case.
Apple has confirmed to Verge that you can indeed use the iPhone charger you have now to charge your new AirPods. It’s a slow but effective process that will just take longer than usual—so expect it to take roughly a day and a half if you’re out and only have a 5W charger.
Pros of Using an iPhone Charger for AirPods
- Easy to find and use – Most people already have an iPhone charger, so no need to go out and buy a new one.
- Cheap – iPhone chargers are usually affordable, so you don’t have to worry about spending too much money.
- Familiar – If you’re already an iPhone user, you’re probably already familiar with the charging process.
Cons of Using an iPhone Charger for AirPods
- Not all iPhone chargers are compatible – Not all iPhone chargers are compatible with AirPods, so be sure to check the specifications of your charger before using it.
- Slow charging – iPhone chargers typically have a lower wattage than AirPods chargers, so charging will take longer.
- No wireless charging – If you have an AirPods model with a wireless charging case, you won’t be able to use an iPhone charger.