Did you know that you can connect multiple AirPods to one phone? Me neither!
I’ve had my AirPods for years, but I’m still finding little “secrets” that I wish I knew sooner. Being able to connect several AirPods to one phone would’ve allowed me to share my tunes with my siblings and friends without having to sacrifice one of my earbuds.
If you’re like me and recently just found out about this feature, join the club! I’ll discuss everything you need to know about this cool function. How many AirPods can you connect to one phone, and how do you do it? Let’s find out!
How Many AirPods Can You Connect to One Phone?
You can connect up to two pairs of AirPods to your iPhone or iPad, thereby allowing a synchronized listening or viewing experience between two people.
Once properly connected, you can control the volume of each pair separately from the device’s lock screen. Just make sure both phones are running iOS 11.2 or later and have the most recent firmware updated.
The Apple Audio Sharing function is compatible with the following devices:
- iPhone 8 or later (iOS 11.2 +)
- iPad (5th generation +)
- iPad Pro (10.5-inch, 11-inch, 12.9-inch; 2nd generation +)
- iPad Air (3rd generation)
- iPod touch (7th generation)
- Apple TV 4K
- iPad mini (5th generation)
It’s important to note that since both pairs are connected to the speakers of the phone, the person sharing the connection will hear the conversation you’re having when you receive a call.
Only one mic is active at a time, however, so only you can speak to the caller.
Is There Any Way to Connect More Than Two Pairs of AirPods to One Phone?
Unfortunately, you can only connect two pairs of AirPods to one phone.
Apple has yet to increase this figure, but it seems that the company doesn’t have plans in doing so in the near future.
How to Connect Two Airpods to One iPhone
To link a separate pair of AirPods to your iPhone, you’ll first have to connect the second pair to your device. Here’s how:
- Go to the iPhone Home Screen.
- Take the AirPods you want to link out of their case and keep them near your device. The connection lasts for 60 seconds, so try to make the connection under this period.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to link the new device.
- Once successfully paired, swipe down the iPhone screen from the top right corner and tap the AirPlay icon.
- Tap Share Audio when the second pair of AirPods appear on the selection screen.
How to Adjust the Volume and Noise Controls of Paired AirPods
Once you’ve connected both pairs to your iPhone, here’s how you can customize the volume and noise control for each device:
- On your iPhone home screen, go to Control Center.
- Select the audio you’re listening to and expand the settings.
- Below the Play button, you’ll find two individual volume sliders with their respective labels. Above this slider, you’ll find a master slider that’ll affect the volume of both pairs.
What Other Sound Devices Can You Connect to Your iPhone?
If you want to share your music with your friend but she/he doesn’t have AirPods, don’t worry. These devices can be paired with your iPhone in place of AirPods as they support the Apple Audio Sharing function:
- Beats Fit Pro
- Beats Flex
- Beats Solo3 Wireless
- Beats Studio3 Wireless
- Powerbeats Pro
- Powerbeats3 Wireless
- Solo Pro
Can You Connect Multiple AirPods to a Samsung Phone?
Surprisingly—or perhaps unsurprisingly, given Samsung’s versatile nature—you can connect two AirPods to a Samsung phone.
Read more: Can you use AirPods charger for iPhone?
Samsung phones with Android 10 have a feature called Dual Audio, which allows you to connect two Bluetooth devices to one Samsung device. This feature made a debut with the Samsung Galaxy S8 series and has remained a staple ever since.
To connect two pairs of AirPods to your Samsung device, follow these steps:
- Go to Settings > Connections.
- Tap Bluetooth and turn the slider On.
- Pair both devices to your Samsung phone.
- Exit the Bluetooth page and swipe down the screen to access Quick Panel.
- In the Quick Panel section, tap on Media.
- Select both AirPod devices and wait for them to connect.
- Once linked, you’ll be able to listen to the same audio from two AirPods using your Samsung phone.
Dual Audio not only works on wireless earbuds; it also works with headphones, speakers, and other Bluetooth-enabled sound systems.
Read more: How to get scuffs off AirPods?
You can connect up to two pairs of AirPods to your iPhone.
Once you’ve paired the second device to your phone, tap the AirPlay icon from your home screen and select Share Audio. Yes, it’s as easy as that; you and your friend will now be able to listen to the same audio in separate AirPods.