As an owner of both a phone and a computer monitor, I know firsthand how frustrating it can be to figure out how to connect the two. After doing some research and testing, I’m here to share how I solved the issue, as well as other solutions I discovered. In this blog post, I will explain how to connect a phone to a computer monitor.
So, if you’re looking for a bigger monitor, you can try connecting your phone screen to your laptop or computer through the casting feature, apps, or HDMI and USB cables.
Read our step-by-step guide below to learn how to connect a phone to a computer monitor.
Screen Sharing Using the Cast Feature
Screencasting is a convenient feature of modern phones, computers, and TVs. It allows devices to share video, music, and other digital content and display it on other monitors.
How to Cast Your Android Phone to Your PC
If you’re using an Android device, wireless screencasting is possible through the installation and downloading of free casting applications like LetsView.
Here’s how to screencast your Android phone to your PC using LetsView:
- First, download and install the LetsView application from your android Google Play Store.
- On your PC, download and install the desktop version of the app as well.
- After installing, link both your computer and Android to the same Wi-Fi connection.
- Once both devices are connected, open the LetsView app on your phone.
- Click the “detect” button for the app to search for other devices.
- Once the app is done searching, a list of available gadgets will appear.
- Select the name of your PC or laptop.
- After selecting, you can now choose either “Phone Screen Mirroring” or “Computer Screen Mirroring” to cast your phone to your PC or vice versa.
- In the case of a failed detection, click the icons found on the upper-right corner of the app’s home screen to use a PIN or QR scanning.
How to Cast Your iPhone to Your PC Using AirPlay and Apps
Unlike Androids, you can connect your iPhone to your Mac PC without installing any third-party applications. You only need to use the built-in AirPlay feature on your iOS device.
On the other hand, if you’re trying to cast your iPhone screen to a Windows PC, you would need to use third-party software like ApowerMirror.
Follow these steps to cast your iPhone screen to your Mac monitor via AirPlay:
- Start by connecting both your iPhone and your Mac to the same Wi-Fi connection.
- Next, go to your iPhone’s control center.
- With the iPhone X and other later models, simply swipe down from the upper-right corner of your screen.
- With iPhone 8 and earlier models, swipe up from the bottom part of your screen.
- Once you open the control center, tap the “Screen Mirroring” option from the list.
- Select your Mac from the list of available devices that appears.
Here are the steps to link your iPhone screen to a Windows computer display using ApowerMirror:
- Connect both of the devices to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Then download and install the software on your PC or laptop.
- After the installation, open the software on your computer.
- Next, take your iPhone and swipe down or up to open the control center panel.
- Tap the “Screen Mirroring” option.
- Finally, select the name of your computer from the list of devices that’ll show.
Connecting Your Phone And PC Screens Through Cables
Cables nowadays are the magic makers of electronic devices. You can do just about anything, including screen-sharing from your phone to your PC if you have the right cables and cords.
HDMI to USB Cable
For this method, you would need a specific type of cable called an HDMI to USB, the MiraPlug app, and your phone’s charging brick. The HDMI to USB cable comes with three cords that you must connect to their respective receptacles.
Now, this might sound like you would need a lot of things for this technique, but the upside of this is that it provides a screen-sharing feature with little to no lag on any monitor.
Follow these steps to use HDMI to USB cable to cast your phone screen to PC:
- First, download and install the MiraPlug app on your phone from the Google Play Store.
- Plug the HDMI cord into your computer’s HDMI port.
- Then insert the USB cord end into your charging brick and plug it into a wall outlet.
- Afterward, open the app on your phone.
- Then plug the micro-USB end of the cable into your phone.
- Once connected, the app will show an access confirmation prompt.
- Allow the access prompts, and a “Start Streaming” option will appear.
- Tap it, and your phone will immediately cast on your PC monitor.
- Finally, to include audio in your screencasting, click the audio icon on the MiraPlug, and it’ll connect your phone’s audio via Bluetooth.
To quickly recap, you can connect your phone to your PC’s monitor using two methods. First is by installing screen-mirroring software or, if you have an iPhone, the AirPlay feature.
However, if you want to share a screen with less latency or lag, you can use HDMI to USB cables along with an accompanying app called MiraPlug.
Those are the methods of how to connect a phone to a computer monitor. Now, you can enjoy that immersive wide-screen experience.