When I first got my hands on the Sono 1, I only used it to stream music from my iPhone. But now that I’ve had it for several years, I realized that it can be connected to practically any device that supports a wireless connection. You can even connect your Apple TV to Sonos One—a fact that not many know!
In this article, I’ll show you how to connect your Apple TV to your Sonos One speakers. I’ll also show you how to connect it with the Sonos Playbar and Sonos Arc!
|Sonos One||– Apple TV with TVOS 11.4 or greater||1. Open Apple TV Settings using Siri Remote|
|– TV with AirPlay 2 support||2. Select Audio and Video|
|– Sonos One connected to Sonos app and TV||3. Choose the name of your Sonos One speaker under Audio output heading|
|Sonos Playbar||– Apple TV 4K or fourth-generation Apple TV||1. Connect Apple TV to HDTV with HDMI cable|
|or Sonos Arc||– Sonos Controller app on Android or iPhone||2. Launch Sonos Controller app|
|3. Tap Settings > Select your Product|
|4. Follow app instructions and connect optical audio cable to TV|
|5. Go to Apple TV Settings > Audio and Video > Audio Output and select the connected Playbar or Arc|
Can You Connect Apple TV to Sonos One?
Surprisingly—or perhaps unsurprisingly, given the device’s versatile nature—you can connect Apple TV to Sonos One.
When paired, you can listen to your favorite Apple TV podcast through your Sonos One speaker while cooking in the kitchen or staying in a different room.
The Sonos One has a fairly extensive range; 60 feet without the Boost and up to 100 feet with the Boost.
How to Connect Sonos One to Apple TV
Sonos One speakers can be linked to Apple TV as long as it has AirPlay 2.
The AirPlay 2 is part of the 11.4 update, so if your Apple TV is running TVOS 11.4 or greater, you can connect it to your Sonos One.
If your Apple TV isn’t running TVOS 11, you’ll have to update your streaming device to the most recent version first. You can do this by going to Settings > System > Software Updates > Update Software.
Likewise, the TV you’re using should also support AirPlay 2 so it can be linked with Sonos One. Luckily, AirPlay 2 is compatible with most Smart TVs, including Samsung, LG, and Sony.
Once you’ve checked these requirements, you can proceed with the next steps.
Here’s how to connect your Sonos One to your Apple TV:
- Using your Siri Remote, open the Settings on your Apple TV. You’ll find the settings by pressing the Menu button near the top of the controller.
- From the on-screen Menu, select Audio and Video.
- In the Audio and Video section, you’ll be given a selection of discoverable devices. Select the name of your Sonos One speaker and pair it under the Audio output heading.
Note that this only works if you’re already linked your Sonos One speaker to your Sonos app as well as your TV.
Read more: Does Apple TV support Dobly Vision?
How to Connect Sonos Playbar/Sonos Arc to Your Apple TV
The Sonos Playbar and Sonos Arc are bar-shaped speakers that are specifically designed to be paired with smart TVs.
They produce a richer, more dynamic sound than their wireless counterparts, making them among the best go-to options for those looking for a home theater experience.
Connecting the Sonos Playbar/Sonos Arc to your Apple TV is different from connecting it to your Sonos One. You’ll need to hook up the system to your TV because Apple TV 4K, as well as the fourth-generation Apple TV, don’t have optical audio-out connections.
Here’s what you should do:
- With an HDMI cable, plug the Apple TV into an HDTV.
- Launch the Sonos Controller app on your Android or iPhone device.
- On the app, tap on Settings.
- Then, tap on Select your Product.
- Upon doing so, you’ll be given a prompt that says, “Sonos would like to send you notifications.” Press Allow or Accept.
- Give the app a few seconds to search for nearby products. When the app locates the Playbar or Arc, tap it to select and follow the provided instructions.
- Once done, connect the device’s optical audio cable to your TV.
- Then, turn your Apple TV on and go to Settings > Audio and Video > Audio Output.
- Select the device you’ve just connected. The sound bar will replace your TV speakers, allowing you to use it on your Apple TV.
How Do I Extend the Range of My Sonos One?
As mentioned earlier, the Sonos One has a range of up to 50 feet. That’s pretty neat, considering some wireless speakers only have a range of around 20 feet!
If your Wi-Fi doesn’t cover the area you want to use your Sonos One, or your Wi-Fi is generally unreliable, consider getting yourself a Sonos Boost.
As the name suggests, a Sonos Boost is a device that boosts the strength of your Wi-Fi network.
The Boost is plugged directly into your Wi-Fi router, creating a new network separate from any other device.
Once connected, your Wi-Fi’s range would be extended to 100 feet. This way, you can listen to your Apple TV music, podcasts, or shows even when you’re upstairs or in a different room.
Read more: Can you use Spectrum remote with Apple TV?
With the Sonos One, you can listen to your favorite Apple TV shows and podcasts even while you’re in a different room.
Simply connect the device by going to Apple TV Settings > Audio and Video > Audio Output.
Select the name of your Sonos One, wait for a few seconds to connect, and voilà—you’ve successfully linked your wireless speaker to your Apple TV.