As an owner of the new Xbox Series X|S, I was frustrated to discover that I was unable to connect my AirPods to the console. After doing some research and testing, I’m here to share how I ultimately solved the issue and some other tips and tricks I discovered along the way.
While the Xbox is designed to connect directly to any headphone with a 3.5 mm jack, you might be curious about AirPods and whether you can connect them to your Xbox.
You can connect your AirPods to Xbox Series X|S, but not directly. Instead, you’ll use a simple workaround that is quite effective and doesn’t carry any risks on your console or account.
If you want to know how to connect AirPods to Xbox Series X|S, keep on reading this simple guide!
Can You Connect Your AirPods to Xbox Series X|S?
Unfortunately, AirPods are not officially compatible with Xbox Series X|S or previous versions of the console.
However, you can still connect your AirPods to your Xbox using simple workarounds and solutions.
The easiest one is by using an audio adapter, which is a simple accessory that you connect to the controller that allows you to connect it directly to AirPods.
The other method doesn’t require buying any special accessories, but it will use your iPhone as a middleman because it utilizes the Remote Play feature.
What’s great about those methods is that you can use them with just about any Bluetooth speakers out there. You can also use them with some old generation consoles, such as Xbox One and Xbox One X.
How to Connect AirPods to Xbox Series X|S
Now that you know more about the methods, here’s what you need to do in order to get the connection to work.
Method 1: Using the Audio Adapter
For this method, you’ll need to buy a decent audio transmitter adapter that is compatible with Xbox Series X|S controllers.
We highly recommend the Skull & Co. AudioBox because it has a 5.0 Bluetooth module that guarantees very low frequency and works very easily.
It also doesn’t need any batteries because it draws its power directly from the controller. Since it uses less than 1 watt of battery power, you don’t have to worry about battery draining issues. Here’s how the method works:
- Take out the Audio adapter, and connect it directly to the bottom of your Xbox Series X|S controller.
- Flick the switch with the Bluetooth symbol to the pairing mode, and hold it there for 3 seconds or until the LED light starts flashing.
- Open the smart AirPod case lid while holding down the setup button on the back to put it in pairing mode. It should also start flashing.
- Both devices should then stop flashing once they connect to each other.
- Put the AirPods in your ear and test out the audio.
- Flick the switch with the microphone symbol if you also want to enable the mic
Method 2: Using the Remote Play
Read more: Only one AirPod works at a time
This method is slightly more complicated than the previous one, but it’s ideal if you don’t want to buy any extra accessories to get the job done.
As previously mentioned, for this trick to work, you’ll need a smartphone as well as a functional router with a local network connection. So make sure that they’re ready before trying this method. Here’s how to do it:
- Open your Xbox Series X|S, and go to Settings.
- In the “Devices & connections” section, click on the “Remote Features” Box.
- Tick the “Enable Remote Features” box then open the “Power Mode” drop-down menu, and choose “Instant-on”.
- On your iPhone (or any other smartphone), download the official Xbox app (click here to download it from the app store).
- Connect the AirPods to your iPhone via Bluetooth. You can also connect your controller to the iPhone if you want to access your console online.
- Once the app is installed, open it and log in with the same Xbox account you’re using on your console.
- Tap the Xbox console icon on the top right of the app, and choose “Remote play on this device”.
- Wait until the Xbox layout is loaded on your phone, and you should be able to hear it through the AirPods.
Of course, you don’t have to keep looking at your iPhone if you want to play on your TV. Keep in mind that this method might have a slight latency in sound depending on your network connection, especially when you compare it to the previous method.
However, it has the added bonus of letting you enjoy your console from anywhere in the world as long as you have a good internet connection!
- Easy to set up and use
- Compatible with any Bluetooth speaker
- Enjoy the added benefits of Xbox App’s Remote Play feature
- Requires an audio adapter accessory or compatible smartphone
- Can experience slight latency in sound depending on network connection
Read more: One AirPod is louder than the other
This wraps it up for today’s guide that shows you how to connect your AirPods to Xbox Series X|S with simple steps
As you can see, you can either buy an audio adapter accessory or use the Remote Play method. This workaround is quite simple but it’s very easy to implement and works quite well.
You can also use this method with just about any Bluetooth speaker out there and it comes with all the extra advantages of the Remote Play feature of the Xbox App.