As an Apple Watch owner, I’ve often found myself wondering if I can use my device without having to pair it with my iPhone. After some digging around and experimenting, I’m here to share what I’ve learned and some potential solutions for those wanting to use their Apple Watch without pairing it to an iPhone. In this blog post, I’ll discuss all the ways to use the Apple Watch independently and how to set it up for optimal use. So, if you’re looking for ways to make your Apple Watch a standalone device, read on!
You can technically use an Apple Watch without being paired with an iPhone. However, you’ll be missing out on a lot of functions. However, using the watch within a WiFi range or using a model with a cellular connection enabled can give you more functionality without iPhone pairing.
|Apple Watch Without iPhone Pairing||The watch can still function to some extent without iPhone pairing, but you’ll miss out on many features.|
|Pairing Apple Watch to iPhone||You need to bring your iPhone close to the watch and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the pairing process.|
|Features Without a Paired iPhone Nearby||Basic functions like checking time, alarms, timers, and stopwatch can be used. Some features can be accessed if connected to Wi-Fi, like iMessage, Siri, and Apple Pay.|
|iPhone Compatibility||Apple Watch is compatible with iPhone models 6s or newer and requires iOS 15 or newer.|
|Compatibility with Non-iPhone Devices||Apple Watch is not compatible with Android devices or iPads, and there is no workaround to use it with full functionality without an iPhone.|
Can I Use Apple Watch Without Pairing with iPhone?
Apple designed its smartwatch so that it’s a companion gadget to the iPhone. For that reason, you’ll be sacrificing a lot of functions if you use an Apple Watch without pairing it to your iPhone.
In fact, while setting up your Apple Watch for the first time, you’ll need to link it to an Apple ID, so you’ll need an iPhone for that.
As such, you technically need an iPhone for the initial pairing of the Apple Watch as well as to enjoy all the various features and capabilities that the watch has.
However, if you’re using an Apple Watch without pairing it to an iPhone, it might still work, but you’ll be missing out on tons of features.
How Do You Pair an Apple Watch to an iPhone?
Apple designed the watch so that it’s very easy to pair with an iPhone. Here’s what you need to do to get it done:
- Wear the Apple Watch on your wrist, and turn it one by pressing and holding the side button.
- Get your iPhone close to the watch. A pairing window should appear.
- Press “Continue” then “Set Up for Myself”.
- Follow the on-screen instruction to finalize the process
What Can I Do with an Apple Watch Without a Paired iPhone Nearby?
Read more: Apple Watch makes my wrist smell
As previously mentioned, if you don’t pair your Apple Watch with an iPhone device, you’ll miss out on many features.
However, there are some features that you can use as long as you keep the watch connected to WiFi. These features include:
- Check the time, set alarms and timers, and basic functions like the stopwatch
- Tracking your vitals while working out, such as heart rate and oxygen in the blood (you won’t be able to track your route via GPS unless you’re pairing the Apple watch with an iPhone)
- Use iMessage and other apps that only requires WiFi for chatting
- Make calls via Facetime Audio
- Voice commands with Siri
- Use the Walkie Talkie App
- Add tracks to your watch and Stream music and radio
- Listen to audiobooks
- Making and receiving VOIP calls
- Track your stocks using the Stocks App
- Check the current weather in your city or any other city
- Controlling your house through the Home App
- Use most apps that only require WiFi for functionality
- Making purchases and paying using Apple Pay (make sure that you make the purchase in an area with WiFi)
What iPhone Models is the Apple Watch Compatible with?
While there are several generations of Apple Watches out there, Apple currently sells several models, including the Apple Watch Series 3, Apple Watch Series 7, and the Apple Watch SE.
Almost all of these watches are compatible with an iPhone that is model 6s or newer. You should also make sure that you’re using software that is iOS 15 or newer.
Read more: Apple Watch button is stuck
Can I Use Apple Watch with Non-iPhone Devices?
Currently, the Apple Watch is incompatible with Android devices, so it will only work if you pair it with an iPhone. This includes all Android devices regardless of their brands.
Similarly, the Apple Watch is designed to work with the iPhone but it’s not compatible with an iPad.
This means that if you only have an iPad, the only functions that you’re allowed to use on your Apple Watch would be the ones that you can use if you don’t have an iPhone.
In addition to that, there’s currently no workaround that will allow you to use an Apple Watch with the same functionality if you’re not pairing it with an iPhone.
- Can keep track of health metrics such as heart rate and oxygen levels without pairing to an iPhone.
- Can use iMessage and other apps that only require WiFi for chatting.
- Can use Walkie Talkie, make and receive VOIP calls, track stocks, check the weather, and control your house through the Home App.
- Can make purchases and pay with Apple Pay.
- Cannot use GPS or any other features that require cellular or Bluetooth connection.
- Cannot use any apps that require an iPhone.
- Cannot be used with any other device, such as an Android device or an iPad.
This wraps it up for today’s guide about using the Apple Watch without pairing it with an iPhone. While your Apple Watch will have some functionality within a WiFi range, you would still miss out on a lot of features and apps without iPhone pairing.
Additionally, Apple Watches can’t be paired with any other device. For that reason, getting an Apple Watch is only a good idea if you already have an iPhone.