As an Apple TV user and avid gamer, I have been eagerly awaiting the launch of Google Stadia. I was excited to see that it was finally available, but then frustrated to find out that it doesn’t actually work on Apple TV. I wanted to find a way to make it work, so I did some research and testing. Here to share what I discovered, I’m writing this blog post to answer the question: Does Stadia work on Apple TV?
Unfortunately, in the current state of Apple TV and its development, it is not possible to get Stadia to work on Apple TV. Also, Stadia is currently set to be shut down in 2023.
|1. Stadia is not compatible with Apple TV and will be shut down in 2023.|
|2. Apple does not offer its own streaming service for games, but has Apple Arcade for games, puzzles, and trivia challenges.|
|3. Stadia is not compatible with Apple TV due to not being part of Apple’s MFi program.|
|4. The Stadia controller is not compatible with Apple TV.|
|5. Apple Arcade is a gaming library exclusive to Apple products, but some games may have a premium cost.|
|6. To play games on Apple TV, use a controller with MFi-compatible devices.|
Does Stadia work on Apple TV?
No. Stadia does not currently work on Apple TV.
What is Stadia?
Stadia is Google’s media streaming platform that allows users to stream and play games from any computer or device with a working wireless internet connection.
With Stadia, it is now easier than ever to play high-tech games even if you do not currently have a top-tier gaming rig.
Does Apple offer its own streaming service for games?
Currently, there are no plans for Apple to develop its very own game-streaming platform and service solution.
However, Apple does currently have its own Arcade gaming area, where Apple device owners and Apple V users can access games, puzzles, and trivia challenges.
Read more: Can you connect Bluetooth speakers with Apple TV?
Why is Stadia incompatible with Apple TV?
Stadia is a game streaming service developed and launched by Google, a direct competitor to Apple.
Currently, Apple TV does not offer any support for third-party gaming streaming platforms such as Google’s Stadia.
Additionally, Stadia is also compatible with its very own controller for those interested in playing games via controller, rather than with a computer’s keyboard and mouse.
Unfortunately, the Stadia controller is also incompatible with Apple TV.
Read more: Smart TV vs Apple TV
Why is the Stadia controller incompatible with Apple TV?
All of Apple’s approved devices and products must go through an application process of enrolling in their MFi program.
Currently, Stadia is not compatible with Apple TV as it is not a part of Apple’s MFi program.
Because of the direct competitive nature of Apple and Google, there is also no guarantee that Apple TV will allow Stadia and the Stadia controller into its marketplace any time soon.
What is Apple’s MFi program?
The Apple MFi program helps to certify that devices, programs, and firmware are suitable for Apple’s technologies.
How can I play games with my Apple TV?
Although it is not possible to connect your Apple TV with a third-party gaming streaming service such as Stadia or Luna, you can still play games via your Apple TV device itself using the Apple Arcade.
What is Apple’s Arcade?
Apple’s Arcade is its very own gaming library, available for all iPhone, iPod touch, Apple TV, iPad, and Mac users.
With Arcade, Apple product owners gain exclusive access to games and forms of entertainment that are currently unavailable anywhere else.
Some of the most popular games available from Apple’s Arcade in 2022 include:
- Jackbox Party Games
- Modern Combat 5
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (classic version)
- Chorno Trigger
- Alto’s Odyssey
- Real Racing 3
- Game of Thrones: Tale of Crows (exclusively available for Apple Arcade)
Is the Apple Arcade free to use?
Yes and no. The Apple Arcade is always free to access, but it is also possible to make purchase of games and other forms of entertainment directly from the Arcade itself.
How do I find games to play using Apple’s Aracade with my Apple TV?
Once you have launched your Apple TV, complete the following steps:
- Locate the app store once your Apple TV device icons load.
- Once your Apple app store launches, you will immediately gain access to an entire library of items to watch, media to stream, and even games to play. Games available for those using Apple TV are available via the Apple Aracade.
- Select the game you are interested in based on the list of available games. You can also search for specific games that are compatible with Apple TV. You will be presented with more information about the game, including potential demos that are available for download, before purchasing the full/premium version of the game itself.
- Purchase or download the game(s) you wish to install to your Apple TV using your Apple TV remote.
It is important to note that many games available via the Apple Arcade are not available to try or play for free. Most games available with Apple TV’s Arcade are available for a premium cost.
What are the pros of using Apple TV’s built-in Arcade instead of Stadia for gaming?
Using Apple TV’s built-in Arcade provides an array of features and benefits, such as:
- All-in-one location to access and play games within seconds
- Safe and secure games that are monitored by Apple
- Updated content available regularly to download and/or purchase
What are the cons of using the built-in Arcade for Apple TV instead of a streaming service such as Stadia?
As with most tech devices today, there are also downsides to using Apple TV instead of a streaming game service such as Stadia, including:
- Lack of games and a lack of an extensive library
- Controller/device computability issues
- Inability to play today’s top games or games with intensive graphics and capabilities
What are the pros of using Stadia for gaming?
Opting for a game streaming service such as Stadia may be a new concept to some, but it is quickly becoming a widely known trend throughout the gaming industry.
Some of the perks of choosing to use a streaming service such as Stadia over a built-in service such as Apple TV’s Arcade include:
- The ability to play and stream games from anywhere, regardless of your preferred device and the graphics card or processor you are using.
- Access to brand-new games that are exclusive to specific consoles or streaming platforms.
- The ability to try games before purchasing a hard copy, as well as the ability to skip the purchasing of brand new games altogether.
What are the cons of using Stadia for gaming?
Unfortunately, there are always downsides and cons to using a streaming service platform such as Stadia, such as:
- Unpredictability: It is not always possible to predict the playback of a game, especially during peak hours and times when servers are receiving high volumes of traffic.
- Lack of variety: Not all game streaming services include a wide range of games, which can leave you wanting more.
- Cloud saving: It is not always possible to save your game’s progress to your hard drive, which requires an ongoing subscription to the game streaming platform of your choice to maintain access to your games.
Can you use a controller to play games on Apple TV?
Yes, it is possible to use a controller to play games on Apple TV, but only when using an MFi-compatible device.
Currently, some of the most popular Apple TV-compatible gaming controllers available to use with Apple games and Apple’s Arcade include:
- SteelSeries Nimbus+
- PXN Mfi Controller
- Xbox Wireless Controller
- DualShock 4
Whenever you are in the market for an Apple TV remote or controller, always ensure that the device you choose is MFi-compatible and recognized by the Apple corporation.
Pros of Stadia with Apple TV
- The ability to play and stream games from anywhere, regardless of the device and processor being used
- Access to exclusive games that are not available on other consoles or streaming platforms
- Ability to try games before purchasing a hard copy
Cons of Stadia with Apple TV
- Unpredictability of game playback during peak hours and times
- Limited variety of available games
- Inability to save game progress to hard drive without a subscription