As an owner of Apple AirPods, I have found myself frustrated when trying to adjust the mic volume. After doing some research, I have discovered some solutions to this common problem. In this blog post, I will share with you how I solved the issue, as well as other potential solutions that I have found. So if you’re looking to adjust the mic volume on your AirPods, keep reading!
It is not possible to directly adjust the volume of the mic on the AirPods unless. To raise the volume, you need to ensure that the mic is clean, change the active mic that is being used, or update the AirPods.
Key Takeaways and tips:
- It is not possible to directly adjust the mic volume on AirPods.
- To raise the volume, ensure that the mic is clean, change the active mic that is being used, or update the AirPods.
- It could be the case that the mic on one of your AirPods is broken, or that the mic is dirty.
- Reset and reconnect your AirPods, try connecting to a different device, or disconnect from other devices if the connection is interfering.
- Clean the mic grill with Blu-Tack to ensure it is not blocked.
How to adjust AirPods mic volume
It is not possible to directly change how loudly your AirPod’s mic records you. To change how loud you are on your AirPods mic, you would either need to move the mic closer to your face or to adjust the volume of the device you are using.
You have some unique abilities with the Apple AirPods. One of these abilities is to actually change which AirPod is going to have the active microphone.
Apple figured that you would not always have both AirPods in your ears at the same time. They knew there would be scenarios where you have just one AirPod.
If you have just one of the Apple AirPods in your ears, it could be that you only have the left or the right ear.
With the Apple AirPods, you have the ability to change the active AirPod microphone. The default setting on the Apple AirPods is to switch between the left or the right AirPod depending on which one is in the ear.
You can change it so that it is fixed to just one side.
To do this, you go into the Bluetooth settings on your iPhone. With the Apple AirPods having an active connection, you can click on the “i” symbol on the AirPods tab.
From there you can go to the Microphone setting and choose the preference that will work for you.
Read more: Why can I hear myself through my AirPods?
Why is my AirPod’s mic so quiet?
Below are possible reasons why your AirPod’s mic is quiet and what you can do about it.
It could be the case that the mic on one of your AirPods is broken. However, only one mic is actually used at a time to record your voice. So, you could try using the other mic to see if it is due to a hardware fault.
To fix this try the following:
- Go to settings
- Go to Bluetooth
- Click the “i” next to your AirPods
- Click “Microphone”
- Change it from “Always left” or “Always right”
It might be the case that your AirPods mic is dirty. The problem is that metal filings can easily get into the filing grill which can make it harder for the mic to hear your voice. To fix this do the following:
- Get some Blu-Tack
- Firmly press it into the microphone grill several times
Your AirPods need to be reset
Another possible cause is that your AirPods need to be reset and reconnected with the device you are using.
To reset and reconnect your AirPods, do the following:
- Forget the AirPods on the device you are using
- Put your AirPods in the case
- Press the button on the case for 15 seconds
- Wait 30 seconds
- Open the lid and hold the button on the case
- Reconnect your AirPods to your device
A connection issue
It is also possible that there is an issue with the connection that you have with your device. It would help to try connecting your AirPods to a different device and to see if the mic is still quiet when using that device.
It would also help to disconnect your AirPods from all the other devices that they have a connection with in case their connection has been interfering with your AirPods.
A software issue
AirPods do receive software updates. It might be the case that your AirPods need to be updated. They do update automatically when you connect them to an Apple device.
Read more: Why can’t people hear me on my AirPods?
How to get my AirPods mic to be louder
To get your AirPods mic to be louder try the following:
- Change the mic that is being used as explained in the “Broken” section above
- Reconnect your AirPods to your device
- Clean your AirPod’s mic grill using the Blu-tack method as explained above
Pros of the AirPods Mic
- Can be connected to multiple devices at once
- High-quality sound output
- High-quality mic recording
- Can be used with voice commands
Cons of the AirPods Mic
- Can be difficult to adjust the mic volume
- Can easily become blocked or dirty
- May not be compatible with all devices