I recently ran into an issue with my Vizio TV where it wouldn’t connect to my DirecTV service. I was frustrated and exhausted all of the usual troubleshooting tips and tricks, but nothing seemed to work. After doing a bit of research and some trial and error, I was able to get the connection working. I wanted to share what I did, and some other solutions I discovered, in case anyone else is having the same issue. In this blog post, I’ll be sharing the steps that I took to get my Vizio TV and DirecTV working together again.
DirecTV streams can be displayed from your smartphone to your TV using Google cast and Apple AirPlay. Additionally, streaming devices such as Amazon Firestick and Roku Stick can also launch the app. DirecTV also sells its own streaming media player with a pre-installed app.
How to Access DirecTV on Vizio TV
DirecTV isn’t a native app for your Vizio TV, so you’ll need an external device like a smartphone, tablet, or third-party streaming device to launch DirecTV content.
Before proceeding to the options, make sure that your TV’s firmware is updated.
Option 1: Use Apple AirPlay
Airplay allows you to stream between your Apple and compatible devices. Here’s how you can use this with your Vizio TV.
- First, go to the DirecTV website.
- Sign up for DirecTV Stream.
- Install the streaming app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Log in with your credentials after installation.
- Connect your Smart TV to the Wi-Fi network also linked to your iPhone or iPad.
- Afterward, play content in the streaming app, then choose the AirPlay icon.
- Start sharing by selecting Vizio Smart TV on the list.
- Finally, the video will play on your Vizio.
Option 2: Use Google Cast
Google cast is another way you can access DirecTV content from your smart device to your TV. Follow these simple steps for this purpose:
- First, connect your smart TV and device to the same WiFi network.
- Go to the DirecTV website and sign up.
- Install the streaming app on your iPhone, iPad, Android phone, or tablet.
- Afterward, log in with your credentials.
- Play the content in the DirecTV Stream app, then choose the Google Cast icon.
- Next, select your Vizio Smart TV to start sharing.
- Lastly, your smart TV should display the content.
Option 3: Use a DirecTV Stream Box
DirecTV also offers its streaming box, which has a pre-installed DirecTV app. Just like other external streaming devices, you can also download other applications into it.
Here’s how to set up your DirecTV streaming box:
- Connect one end of the HDMI cable to the box and the other end to your TV’s port.
- Use an ethernet cable to establish a wired internet setup from the box to the router.
- Otherwise, you’ll need to connect it to your WiFi network later on.
- Then, plug in the cord to a wall outlet to power the streaming box.
- The red indicator light on the device should start blinking.
- Turn on your Vizio TV and select the HDMI port from the list of inputs or sources.
- Next, pair the remote to its streaming box by following the on-screen instructions:
- Point the remote to the box.
- Press on the Rewind and Fast Forward buttons at the same time.
- This should take around 2-3 seconds.
- Then, you’ll get a prompt that your remote is ready to use.
- Connect to your WiFi network if you’re going wireless.
- The streaming box automatically checks for updates after a successful connection.
- Finally, log into your account and stream.
Option 4: Use Other Streaming Devices
Streaming devices bypass your Vizio TV’s operating system. So, even if DirecTV isn’t supported, you can still launch the app.
Your options include Amazon Firestick, Apple TV 4K, and Roku Stick. Before you invest in one, make sure that you have a working HDMI port on your Vizio TV.
Then, follow the steps below:
- First, plug the streaming device into the TV’s HDMI port.
- Power it on with the USB connector plugged into a wall charger.
- Next, turn on your television and change the source/input to the HDMI port.
- Wait for the streaming device to boot up.
- On the remote, press the home button to pair it with the Firestick.
- Choose your preferred language.
- Connect to your WiFi network by logging in with your credentials.
- Then, complete the setup of your streaming device.
- Download the DirecTV app.
- Finally, log in with your credentials and start streaming on your TV.
DirecTV stream isn’t supported by Vizio TV’s operating system, but this shouldn’t stop you from enjoying the service.
To address your issue on Vizio TV not working with DirecTV, you can use Google Cast and Apple Airplay to share content from your smartphone or tablet to your TV.
External streaming devices like the DirecTV box, Amazon Firestick, and Roku Stick also allow the loading and launching of the app on your device.